Light bulb's in sleeper, I can't figure out how to replace them.

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by Mr. Cob, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Mr. Cob

Mr. Cob Light Load Member

Howdy All,

I have a 2001 379 with sleeper, just behind the pass through and in the roof of my sleeper there is a clear plastic window i'm guessing about 8-9 inches wide by about 12-14 inches long under that plastic window are two 12 volt florescent type tubular light bulbs. One of those bulbs is burnt out, how the heck do you remove that plastic window so you can get to and replace the light bulb.

There is another light on the drivers side of the sleeper just in front of the sleeper window that has two bulbs, one on top of the other that can be turned off and on independent of each other, this same light arrangement is also located on both sides in the roof of the cab one on the drivers side and one on the passenger side, again how does a person open that fixture up so you can replace the bulbs. I have looked all over the darn internet and can't find any instructions on this. I know its a dumb question but if any of you folks can help me out I sure would appreciate it. Thanks.

Dave

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MrEd

MrEd Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Winfred, SD
    In my Cascadia, every light cover just snaps on. Dont break a nail, grab the edge and pull. Itll pop off. They need to be that easy to get off in a Cascadia. I seem to have to replace a lot of bulbs in this truck.

Mr. Cob Thanks this.
  4. Mr. Cob

Howdy MrEd,

Thanks for your reply. I probably had the same lights in my Columbia as you have in your Cascadia, I was able to work with those, the ones in the Pete are different and have me baffled. But then I am easily baffled and wander through life in a constant state of confusion.

Dave

MrEd Thanks this.
  5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
  6. pushbroom

pushbroom Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Pretty sure the covers just pop off with some careful prying. Ill take another look when I'm at work tomorrow

The 2 part side lights just have little hooks that hold them in. Use a small screwdriver near the hook and gently pop it out. Picture attached so you can see the hooks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    Mr. Cob Thanks this.
  7. Gearjammin' Penguin

Gearjammin' Penguin "Ride Fast-Truck Safe"

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    Just cut a hole in the back, turn that Smart Car around to face forward and turn on the headlights. Viola! Sleeper lights, and you didn't even have to buy new bulbs! ;)

Mr. Cob Thanks this.
  8. Mr. Cob

Howdy pushbroom,

Thanks for your reply and the information. Looking at the drawing I can now see how the side lights are attached. But that two bulb florescent light in the ceiling of the sleeper has me puzzled. I tried to gently push-pull on it but nothing moved, I didn't think to try popping it with a screw driver, if you can provide any information on how that bulb cover comes off I sure would be grateful.

Dave

9. Mr. Cob

Howdy Gearjammin Penguin,

Well, your idea would work but if I loaded the Smart Car, lenght wise I wouldn't have clearance to maneuver the trailer 90 degrees to the truck which I have to do in order to get into some of the places I camp. That I am to darn lazy to get out of the truck, climb up on the deck, get in the Smart Car so I can turn the lights off or on, then climb back down to the ground and get back in the truck. That just sound like "work" and I am retired. :)

Dave

Gearjammin' Penguin Thanks this.
  10. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    On the florescent ones I squeeze the middle together a bit and one side top or bottom will come loose. Its hell till you get the feel for it lol

Mr. Cob, spsauerland and pushbroom Thank this.
  11. Mr. Cob

Howdy wore out,

I kinda figured that was the way it would work but I was afraid to put to much pressure on that plastic as old as it is I don't want it to crack. Thanks for your reply, I'll give it another try now that I know how its done.

Dave

wore out Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.