Light Flashing

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by kjax, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Hurryupandwait

Hurryupandwait Light Load Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Canada, Northern Ontario

This is a little off topic, but what's with the people that don't know enough to turn their lights on in the rain?:biggrin_2552:

otherhalftw Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Red Fox

Red Fox Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2009
    Acworth, Ga.
    I dont' know if it's legal or not, but I used to wet and stick on a piece of window tint on the mirrors at night because of that to offset the irritation. It generally made things easier on the eyes full time too. I now have an amber set of blueblocker night glasses that work well for me, once I get used to everything looking all yellow and stuff.

4. jfr

jfr Light Load Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Great Lakes State of Mind
    The whole reason that auto mfrs went to daytime running lights is safety. I have been running my low beams or fog lights 24 hrs a day for 30 years. No fear of blinding anyone and I am seen by oncoming traffic.

And it is the law in most states to turn them on in the rain.

Still undecided Thanks this.
  5. WildRose

WildRose Light Load Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Hartford, CT

I thought they said NO High beams?

Summer will be here soon. I am sure you cant wait!

6. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    It is better to do nothing at all than to flash your bright lights to tell me Im clear. I can easily tell when Im clear, and if you cant, I would suggest that you stop driving till you get your vision corrected. 4 ways are way better than high beams.

By the way DOT does not want trucks signaling at all. They used to write us tickets for this.

The High Beam thing came over from europe for cars wanting to pass. There are a lot of things from eurpor that may not be a good idea here.

7. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    On our Macks we have a button to flash the marker lights but it won't interrupt them when they are on.
    I ignore high beam flashes from 4 wheelers . I have seen too many automotive writers refer to thehigh beam button as a "flash to pass" button and that's how many 4 wheelers use it. They flash their high beams just before passing you .

8. bigcountry30

bigcountry30 Light Load Member

May 17, 2009
    Indiana
    Yes, I agree this is worse than a truck flashing the brights to let you know to come over. The other one is the four wheelers, and truckers, that have terrible eyesight and think that since they are on a 4 lane divided highway that it is ok to run down the road with there brights on all the time. If your eyesight is that bad then you shouldn't be driving anything especially an 80,000 lb truck.

9. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    I have never had an issue when I pass someone and they flash their lights. At least they have the courtesy to offer a not just them out here outlook. I acknowledge by flashing my markers. I do not stare in a mirror and get blinded by anyone. I am looking out my windshield and out of the corner of my eye checking my mirror. I am not going to signal to come back over before I have a safe lead distance anyway. Most 4 wheelers or big trucks will flash me back over before I have a safe lead anyway. I just thank them for caring to offer enough to care. After using my side vision to see that it is clear I look closer in the mirror to make sure I am clear. If someone flashes then it still does not blind me. Some drivers act like they have been mortally wounded by someone's attempt to offer assistance.

RickG Thanks this.
  10. Kabar

Kabar Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Pell City Al
    Well to be perfectly honest we don't care if we are in your (a 4 wheelers) way or not. Most of us will move over when it's safe AND convenient for us. If a 4 wheeler is slowed down, oh well they were probably speeding any way and we just saved you from a speeding ticket. When a truck passes another truck. When he gets a safe distance in front of the other ( about a truck length) he will be flashed with the lights off/on. he will then respond with flashers or off/on of the trailer lights.

11. tracyq144

tracyq144 Heavy Load Member

Feb 15, 2009
    MN
    On the subject, I have just about given up turning my headlights off to let another driver know his or her trailer has cleared me. When I started in the 80's, almost everyone did that, and it was the way I was trained, and it is just common courtesy, IMHO.

BUT, it is also common courtesy to say "thank you" in some way, be it blinking the markers, the 4-ways, or the "opposite turn signal" deal.

What used to be 99% of truckers saying thanks in that way seems to have dropped down to around 25% or less. Screw it, another example of "the lowest common denominator" messing it up for everyone.

johnday Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.