Light issues 2016 VNL 670

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by Pat Riot, May 5, 2024.

1. Pat Riot

Pat Riot Bobtail Member

Nov 9, 2021
    1. Trailer marker lights not working...tested on 5 different trailers...2 lit up 3 did not (1 did at first then went out). Checked voltages etc and because it was time anyway replaced the pony tail. Still no marker lights. A smart older guy told me to start with the courtesy light (you know the switch we flick on and off to thank other drivers for letting us in). I already checked fuse (someone had put a 30 where it should be a 20..fuse was fine but I put a 20 in anyway). Anyone ever replaced this? truck is currently in shop for new shocks but I literally have very little confidence in their electric abilities (side note last week the turn signal indicator broke off..i bought a new one and replaced it myself. ...marker light issues same before and after...and marker lights on the truck work). or has anyone had similar happen??
    2. Headlights..we replaced halogen lights with LED about 6 mths ago. Last week while driving in the dark my headlights went out. Flashed the high beams they came back on. Luckily the next stop was a Loves and they replaced the LED lights with the older style..saying the wires in the LED lights had kinked. I did not drive in the dark again. When taking truck for shock service I turned on lights..(pre trip they worked). Got message Headlight left low beam short circuit. My husband was in front of me in a van and told me the light was in fact off. So I turned the lights off and while enroute to the shop my husband said the left headlight was flashing on and off irregularly. Would you suggest I replace the headlight switch to start? that is my idea any way.. Not "mechanically" inclined but not afraid to watch a video and do this stuff it is not hard if you follow directions .

Siinman Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. circle h

circle h Light Load Member

Oct 22, 2020
    The two issues are prossibly not related. For the trailer light problem have you tried a different cord? The volvos have a light control module. Try disconnecting the batteries for a half hour and see if it solves the problem.

Pat Riot Thanks this.
  4. Pat Riot

Pat Riot Bobtail Member

Nov 9, 2021
    Yes I replaced the ponytail though the voltage said it was fine but it made no difference. I will try the disconnect tomorrow when I pull it out of the shop. I don’t believe they are related I’ve had issues with the headlights since I bought the truck three years ago but I’ve never had the lights go out on me lol thanks for the reply and suggestion!

5. TripleM-Trans

TripleM-Trans Bobtail Member

Apr 5, 2016
    Michigan
    Hey driver, im actually in a 2016 Volvo as well and I’ve experienced similar issues with my headlights before. I figured out that my wiring harness had been damaged and it was causing my headlights to short circuit. I recommend you check that because it’s a common issue if it’s not tied up properly. If it’s not that then I’m not sure what else could be.

As for the trailer lights I don’t really have any recommendations so hopefully you can figure out what going on with that.

Pat Riot Thanks this.
  6. Pat Riot

Pat Riot Bobtail Member

Nov 9, 2021
    Thank you for the suggestions! I am picking truck up tomorrow done or not from the place that has had it since Thursday a.m. to change the shocks and fix the lighting issues. I am no expert far far from it but there are lots of youtube videos and guys like you who have had way more experience than me....i am not afraid to try and fix it myself it at all possible. I wlyk what happens.

7. Pat Riot

Pat Riot Bobtail Member

Nov 9, 2021
    so thanks to those who responded. We ended up by passing the harness and direct connecting the lights it worked!

Siinman Thanks this.
  8. Siinman

Siinman Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Kansas City, MO.
    On my old 2014 Volvo 670 I had some similar stuff happen to me. Found out what caused all the issues was the Fog Lights had a few bad spots in the wire and was grounding out. This caused similar issues with the trailer lights and also caused the headlights to go out randomly. You may want to open those up and look at all the wiring in them and run the wires to make sure nothing is grounding out.

Pat Riot Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.