Light signals.

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by Slider, Jan 31, 2008.

1. ImKruzer

ImKruzer Bobtail Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Wichita Falls, Tx
    Regretfully I'm still driving buses...Charter/tour, school activity, military, and also stretch limos. Several of these vehicle have the daytime headlights on automaticly, no way to do the on/off flash.

What type of signal can be used if not a quick high beam flash?:biggrin_25511: I always use on/off if possible if the vehicle will let me, then I'm stuck you giving the quick high beam flash sometimes.

Sorry for doing that.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Takashi

Takashi Bobtail Member

Dec 9, 2008
    Sorry for bringing an old thread.

So if I just gracefully passed a truck driver and I want to say "Thank You" do the driver, do I just blink my hazard lights a few times so is there another way??

4. Working Class Patriot

Working Class Patriot Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Wherever and Whenever...
    Flip your headlights on/off during the day will work...

And you only need to do that if you tug a trailer behind you....
    Doing that with a bob-tail Prius might be an embarrassment...

5. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    The truckers say thank you after the driver they passed signaled they were clear . Most 4 wheelers (and many truckers ) pull back in front of the truck too soon not leaving a safe braking distance . If you pull in too soon and put on your hazard lights the response won't be positive .
    The signaling system is very unreliable . I've watched many drivers signal a driver he is clear when he doesn't have half the distance required for a safe interval .

6. grit_33

grit_33 Bobtail Member

Dec 7, 2009
    I'm a driver from Quebec and i drive mostly in the North East US on 2 day trips, I tend to cross the boarder at about 5 pm and drive t'ill anywhere from 2 am to 5 am (if i can get unloaded at night), and yes it happens to me relatively often that when i glance in my mirror to check if i am clear i get flashed that same instant. It's one thing when it's a quick flash by sometimes the 4 wheelers leave their highs on for a we bit too long. A couple quick blinks is just fine to me. As for when I am getting passed myself my truck has fog lights and i have them on all the time when it's dark out so i flash them on and off a couple times for the "all clear" signal. They are relatively far from the headlights so they can be seen going on and off quite well. And for a thnak you i'll flash my markers. I have an interrupter switch for that. Sometime I won't flash at all you can generally tell if the driver is tentative in his movement. If he seems to be dragging out the passing because he is not sure then i'll flash the fogs andi'll flashthe fogs relatively more often in inclement weather.

7. blackw900

blackw900 The Grandfather of Flatbed

Jul 12, 2009
    A.W.O.L
    A singal flash of the left turn signal after a pass is the "old school" way of giving you the finger...

I use it when I get the high beams in the mirror at nite!
    If a black W900L pulling a flatbed passes you and signals a single flash of the left turn signal....Now you'll know why.

8. telcobilly

telcobilly Medium Load Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Laying Low
    wow, I have received the left only signal a few times. Either the driver is not "old school" or I did something wrong I wasn't aware of. Because of this forum, I have refrained from the high beam flash and gone to turning off the headlights momentarily.
    Can't think what I would have done to receive the trucker "bird"??

9. blackw900

blackw900 The Grandfather of Flatbed

Jul 12, 2009
    A.W.O.L
    I wouldn't worry about it much....Most of the newer drivers don't know about it anyway.

10. Passin Thru

Passin Thru Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2007
    VA
    1.9 million miles and I never heard of that and Ive been in every state. Its his old school rule and rude. Just because someone is rude doesnt make it proper to be rude. youre stooping to their level.

Everybody has a photographic memory, some just dont have film.

11. Passin Thru

Passin Thru Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2007
    VA
    Quebec is a country??? Geography wasnt his strong suit. Do not wend him to New Mexico or he will go get a $100 passport and wasit for it and his produce will rot. HAHAHAHAHA

bulldozerbert Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.