Lightning strike

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by Moviemaker, Jul 5, 2021.

1. Moviemaker

Moviemaker Bobtail Member

Jul 5, 2021
    I have a 97 9800 cabover and had lightning strike really close to truck not sure if it hit truck directly or not. I was in its trailer when it happened. Scared the crap out of me! Anyways the next day my driver goes to leave and the truck dies on him twice within 5 miles and the water temp, tach and speedo no longer work. They go through their test cycle then nothing. Truck restarted normally. Just no gauges. So I decided to change Trucks out and send the trailer to its destination. Hook up new truck to trailer and start checking lights and the rear stop and turn lights not working on either side. Bulbs blew. Changed them and he went on his way.
    I checked fuse and everything is good. Also the engine warning light is on along with the ABS LIGHT. Truck will start and run I even drove it about 5 miles without it dying just no gauges still. All lights on truck still good. My question is where to even start to diagnose this. Fuses good no visible burnt or damaged wires. Checked main plug going Into cab looks good and tight. Checked sensors at engine (Detroit 60series) and they all seemed good.
    Is there a way to test instrument cluster? There is power getting to them. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Joe

Doealex and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    1708 datalink is one thing they all have in common. Your next step is to check what codes are getting logged.

Doealex, Snailexpress and AModelCat Thank this.
  4. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    I had a big bolt hit tree I was parked a few feet from and truck had to be towed to the only truck dealer the town, the tec. was wearing a white shirt not the blue shirt all the others wear, he was trying to sell me a new ecm and I just wanted to have him reprogram my ecm. he said he would try but no way he would keep it turned up to 78mph like I had it set, Pulled out my IRP in my co. name and my ck. book with my co. name on it and they went back with setting that the truck had before, I held my breath when he pushed starter button and fired it up and it ran much better than before?

bzinger Thanks this.
  5. Moviemaker

Moviemaker Bobtail Member

Jul 5, 2021
    Thanks guys for the responses. I am currently waiting for a buddy to bring his computer over to read codes. I'll let you know what they are when I get them.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.