Likely redundant end dump wind speed question and shutting down?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Arctic_fox, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Tonythetruckerdude

Tonythetruckerdude Crusty Deer Slayer

Dec 8, 2012
    hunting...../ retired
    Safety is , has been and always will be the person at the controls responsibility.

Period.

Anyone who tells you different is just wrong.

You're golden as long as you make it.

"That guy is really making a hand"

Make the wrong choice .....

Well , you ain't "making a hand"

You're a fool.

Most of us would be making the choice to stop in those conditions.

Don't sweat what others think.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    I’d stop especially if I was paying for the fuel. Winds usually prevail out of the W and SW and driving into that all day is no fun for you or the truck. You can forget overdrive lol.

4. oldretiredafguy

oldretiredafguy Bobtail Member

Mar 7, 2021
    Retired USAF, Retired CDL driver.

There is an old saying in flying that also applies to driving: There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old, bold pilots.

You did the right thing in your mind, and that's all that matters. There will always be Monday morning quarterbacks in any dicey situation. Ignore them, they will always try to second guess your decision.

Tonythetruckerdude Thanks this.
  5. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    In my opinion if you tell them you stopped because you didn't think it was safe to continue. That's the end of it. Any hint of pushback is a BIG red flag! It don't matter how bad the conditions are or are not. If you say you don't think it safe, end of story.
    You are 100% responsible for the safe and legal operation of the CMV you are driving. It is your soul in that truck and your license at stake. If the company you work for doesn't completely give you the authority and acceptance and even hints at pushing back on those decisions, in my opinion, you should consider moving elsewhere. Although it doesn't matter, if you have worked for them long enough that they know you are not lazy and are competent, they really have no excuse for any sort of pushback for stopping.
    Best of luck to you. I'm grateful my company has never done anything to even hint at 2nd guessing or negatively judging me for stopping because I didn't think it safe, for me, to continue. And, I've stopped for conditions numerous times and had loads late as a result several times. As it was explained to me, they can deal with a late load alot easier than they can a wreck, damage, injury and death that may result from driving when it isn't safe for me.

Tonythetruckerdude Thanks this.
  6. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    Hey oldretiredafguy, noticed an F-4 pic there. I used to work on the F-4 G model for a couple of years back in the day. I was an avionics/ECM guy.

7. oldretiredafguy

oldretiredafguy Bobtail Member

Mar 7, 2021
    I flew the F-4G at Spangdahlem in the mid '80's, then went to George and retired from there in '91. I also flew the EF-4C at Kadena in the mid '70's and spent a lot of time at Clark when they were building up Crow Valley EW range. What squadron(s) were you in?

8. mud23609

mud23609 Medium Load Member

Mar 9, 2015
    Step one. Take picture of you flipping the bird.
    Step two. Send it to dispatch.
    Step three. Return truck and find a better job.

Its your call on when to shut down for safety reasons. Just because another driver made it doesn't mean you will, and with 80 mph gusts nobody should be questioning your decision to shut down. If you get blown over or go off the road it wont be the dispatchers fault, or the driver who made it troughs fault. It'll be yours. Trucking jobs are a dime a dozen. You'll find another one within a few days if you want.

9. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    I was stationed at George in 80 and 81. First I was in the 35th CRS and then the 37th CRS. After that, I was reassigned to Germany, Lindsey Air Station, in Weisbaden and was in a unique intelligence outfit. Once I was in the intelligence community, I stayed there till I got out at the end of 88.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.