Linear Amp Question

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by clantonman1983, Nov 9, 2009.

1. WA4GCH

WA4GCH Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Seminole Florida
    They read QRZ and some CB forums ..... that's a fact but with the lady in charge I doubt you will ever see her do much of anything. i don't care what anyone runs it's not my problem ....

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. clantonman1983

clantonman1983 Light Load Member

Mar 24, 2009
    clanton, al
    are you reffering to me? I was replying to something somebody else said.

4. FriedTater

FriedTater Keeper of The Snakes

Mar 25, 2009
    United State of Texas
    No,No . . . . .
    You didnt post anything in favor of Fruit Cake Confederation

Peace!

5. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Bobtail Member

First of all, if you are running any of the typical CB linear amplifiers, you ARE splattering, even if your radio is clean as Skeeter's you know what. And, I believe your post says what it is that you are running (Palomar 225). Believe me, it splatters. You would be shocked how cheaply made those are, no matter how well they work. CB'ers are notorious for excessive overspending on radios that are not even close to worth what they are paying for it. Sure, you could get a much cleaner signal, with a Tokyo Hi Power, SGC Smart Cube, or another "intended for amateur radio use" amplifier, but then again, where would you find the circuit to key it. Amateur radio amplifiers do not use RF sensing diodes, like CB linears. You would have to modify your radio, to provide the proper voltage on transmit, to key the linear. That, in and of itself, would likely preclude you from making the modification. It likely needs negative voltage in the 18-34 volt range and I wouldn't expect that most CB'ers would have the necessary knowledge, to find a -24Vdc circuit, in a CB, that only provides that voltage, on transmit. So, it's not impossible to do it, just highly unlikely. There are TOO MANY CB linears flooding the market, and CB'ers don't care if they splatter. Besides, if you are on Amplitude Modulation, you are transmitting a 5-8 khz signal, which in itself, is splatter. Nature of the beast in AM transmitting.
    Now, on the subject of not talking about it. Go ahead and talk about it. I couldn't care less. I was simply giving my advice, and recommended not to talk about it, because it is illegal activity and even though the FCC's enforcement bureau is a JOKE, and was, even before Riley Hollingsworth retired, therefore enforcement by them is HIGHLY UNlikely, I don't believe in advertising doing something illegal, no matter what it is. There are plenty of citizens out there who pay FAR more attention to what truck drivers are doing, including on the CB, and will use that type of evidence to further demonize the industry as a whole. It's just like lying on a log book. Lots of people do it, but, it too, I would not recommend talking about doing so, publicly, as it casts a bad light on the industry. That's all. There's too much demonization of the industry as it is. We don't need to perpetuate it, further.
    It's simple advice, based in logic, experience and history. Take it for what it's worth to you. If you don't like my advice, don't follow it. It's no skin off my butt. But don't get upset that I gave my best advice, based on what I believe to be the best course of action.
    Is the FCC waiting behind every truckstop in a little white van with an RF doppler direction finder, looking to bust everyone with a 5 watt radio, instead of the legal 4 watts? Of course NOT. But it does give fodder to the old lady who has a desire to badmouth our industry, and use our own words against us, to force more usurpation of our liberties.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
    SheepDog Thanks this.
  6. groundpounder

groundpounder Road Train Member

Nov 13, 2009
    you are correct, you don't have a splatter box you have two..

7. clantonman1983

Mar 24, 2009
    clanton, al
    Two spatterboxes? so I guess the second one you are speaking of is my mouth? if so, then good one. :biggrin_2559:

I was trying to say that no one i have talked to on the CB has went on other channels and said that i was splattering but I guess it is always possible.

8. groundpounder

Nov 13, 2009
    a Galaxy driving a Palomar is probably transmiting over 10k wide or more, its splattering bro...

9. clantonman1983

Mar 24, 2009
    clanton, al
    This is a stupid question but you are going to have to explain that to me. I am still new to this stuff.

10. josh.c

josh.c Road Train Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Knoxville, Tn
    Do you mean over 10Khz wide? Commercial broadcast AM does that, doesn't it? I would think that if that 44 doesn't have the limiter clipped it's probably not all that bad. That Palomar is AB class, not C.

11. groundpounder

Nov 13, 2009
    If said galaxy is running a legal 4 watts and not clipped, its prolly not bad your correct......a palomar is a mass produced low grade amp (no offense meant to anyone) but it is what it is...the two paired together are know for bleeding over 4, 5, 6 channels or more each way...

Some higher end "competition boxes" that produce cleaner power are X-Force, DaveMade, Skull Cracka, just too name a few but they come with a BIG price tag...I'm sure there are other good comp boxes out there but I've lost touch with that since I don't skip shoot on 'leven meters anymore..I do it legal now !! LOL

If the OP is happy with his setup have fun and enjoy it, he/she doesn't need our approval !! :biggrin_25523:

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.