Linehaul at night?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Northeasterner, Apr 1, 2018.

1. Northeasterner

Northeasterner Medium Load Member

Apr 1, 2018
    Rookie here, 9 months out on my own now, working for Eastern Freightways which is a subsidiary of the Shovel Group, which also owns NEMF; famous for its ugly and ancient burgundy-colored trucks!

Here at Eastern we've been blessed however, we run newer trucks painted in clown colors that aren't trashed.

We're also mostly flatbedding, but I'm "lazy" and hated it. so they put me on regional OTR van... where I got no miles! so now I'm running linehaul nights... getting about 40cpm and 500ish miles a night, plus another 25 bucks average for drop and hook... not bad pay... 1100/wk. Dock workers do all the loading, I just drop and hook poorly maintained 53" footers and fight to stay awake... getting better at it though! And pay started at 38cpm, tops out at 40cpm, plus a 3cpm monthly safety bonus. So it tops out at 43cpm...

but my eyes are bedazzled by UPS and tales of truckers running less hours and making more. Work smarter, not harder, right?

Moving up to southern NH from CT. Any linehaul companies out there? UPS contract is up on the net, but it has a linehaul driver addendum that seems to suggest pay tops out at 43cpm, so what would be the point?

Estes doesn't seem to have much, ODFL has some stuff but they're secretive about cpm and I can't find much on the net....

I'd be more than happy to answer your questions about NEMF as best I can. They make more than us, but I didn't even know they existed when eastern hired me right outta cdl school...

Oh! and I'm 25, so I got plenty of years to build seniority until I either retire or the robots take over. ;)

BUMBACLADWAR Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Nukem

Nukem Road Train Member

May 11, 2014
    @Chinatown should be able to help you out when he gets online next time.

4. Radman

Radman Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2011
    So I’d jump into UPS Freight NOT TRUCLOAD. They should be union or nothing. They start linehaul at .42 cpm around 17+ Hr for hourly. Top out is $29 hr and .72 cpm around there after 4 years. So off the bat you’ll be making the same as your making and home everyday. Ask @Russian Rabbit he works there. And also you can transfer to Parcel side if you want. Best way to get into Parcel off the street.

5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    What would be the point with UPS?.....benefits.
    Estes & ODFL are both good. Drivers stay with those companies until retirement. My buddy makes $70K at Estes doing line haul and is home every day.

6. HoustonTrucker

HoustonTrucker Light Load Member

Mar 22, 2015
    He must have a really short run to make only $70k at that, I believe Estes starts you out at .57 a mile, OD is right around there. Raise every six months until you max out in the mid .60s. Once you max out you only need to average 2700 miles a week plus drop & hooks to hit six figures.

LTL is where its at, truckload is light years behind when it comes to pay. The sooner you jump to one of the bigger LTL companies the better off you;ll be. UPS Freight will be good after you put in the time, but from what I hear your early years will be rough. As the low man youll be sitting at home a lot, working the dock, doing short runs while you watch purchase transportation run your freight every night. Ive seen it mentioned more than once that UPS Freight uses a lot of outside contractors to haul their freight while company drivers sit.

Sho Nuff Thanks this.
  7. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    Yep, I agree with everything that you mentioned. UPSF does use a lot of outside contractors and it's one of the main issues that's gonna be brought up when they work on they're upcoming contract.

The thing about UPS is that WITHOUT A DOUBT, they are one of the PREMIER jobs out there, BUT there's A LOT of things that you have to deal when it comes to working for them. You'll here stories of drivers making $130,140, 150k + , but this is the EXCEPTION, not the NORM. They all don't make that kind of money and only a select few who are most likely on mileage runs make that. The vast majority of them are hourly and make somewhere around the $100k + mark... that's on the Parcel side. Freight..P&D drivers don't really get that much OT (usually around 45-50 hours a week) and average somewhere around the $75-80k a year mark at top scale, unless they work as a Combo driver. Linehaul, you can easily make over $100k too, but again, the guys making over $120k are the exception, not the rule. And the same thing can be said for a lot of the other LTL Linehaul jobs out there, like ODFL, Estes, FXF, Saia, etc., where you'll here guys making $100-120k as well, and AGAIN...don't want to sound like a broken record...this is the exception, not the rule.

I personally think it all comes down to whether you're happy at what you're doing. Any job that pays over $80k to me is a #### good paying job...BUT what good is money if you aren't happy at what you are doing...

8. HoustonTrucker

HoustonTrucker Light Load Member

Mar 22, 2015
    I have a 600+ mile run. I got extremely lucky getting this run but it wears on you. at the end of the night I literally have to run home, shower, eat and go to sleep so i can get proper rest. Money is great but to have this run I live in a very undesirable region (main reason I got it). I'l probably run it a few years, set myself up well financially, and transfer out. Working 13 hours a day is for the birds.

Don't get me wrong I'm very thankful to be in this position but after awhile you have to take into account quality of life and happiness vs financial gain and when does that get out of balance.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  9. Northeasterner

Northeasterner Medium Load Member

Apr 1, 2018
    All good things I'm hearing. Yes, I see a lotta UPS contractors.

It sounds like the pay runs from mid-fifties to 70cpm once you get a few years in.

Look, if I can bang out a 400 mile run each night in about 8 hours plus another 2 hours for drop and hook and pre and post trip, then I'm only working 10 hours a day and making about 1250 bucks a week. I'm good with that.

Is that realistic or will companies run me until my hours are out? I know that you have to bid for runs based on seniority, are the seniors going to take every run over 300 miles?

10. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    The senior drivers will take all the goodies, you can count on that. Seniority rules.
    But if you hang in there eventually you'll be one of the senior guys and you'll be glad you stayed.
    A lot of guys my age, the baby boomers, are retiring or are getting ready to. This might be a good time to get established with a good carrier.
    Stay away from the OTR megas, concentrate on the LTL carriers or even a well established tanker outfit.
    Just one thing to be aware of...even old and well established companies can disappear. The history of this industry teaches us that.

Sho Nuff and Cardfan89 Thank this.
  11. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    I hear you. I work 6 days a week and no less than 60 hours per week. Put in 64 last week, 66 the week before, and 64 the week before that. Money is great, but I don't see myself doing this forever. Once my house is paid off, which will be in a couple years, I'll cut back on the OT or just eliminate it altogether be an 8 and skate guy.

Yep...Agreed. Former IBC/Hostess Brands driver here.

yumptin and bentstrider83 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.