Linehaul at night?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Northeasterner, Apr 1, 2018.

1. Mack185

Mack185 Medium Load Member

Feb 25, 2008
    I never said that. Its pretty obvious they’re not going to go under with UPS as their parent company but at the same time it is pretty common knowledge that UPS doesn’t give a lot of love to UPSF.

Go run linehaul for UPSF , let me know how it goes.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mack185

Feb 25, 2008
    Go on over to truckingboards and let the laid off ABF drivers know how great business is. Ask how their contract negotiations are going as well.

You the champion for all freight companies or something?

4. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    I agree you can get decent info on specific companies on Truckingboards.com , but unfortunately there are quite a few frequent posters over there who muddy the waters with inside jokes (especially on the Old Dominion forum). I'll just say if there is a dead horse being beaten on Truckingboards, it surely is wearing a cowboy hat. You know what I mean if you've been on there. That whole thing has been going on for years now.

As far as the conditions for specific drivers at specific terminals, as with everything else in LTL, it varies. I know of low men running linehaul at UPS Freight in my city who regularly run only 3 or 4 days in a week. Other barns might be just fine and run contractors much less often.

@Russian Rabbit - have you ever sat at home laid off for the night since you switched to linehaul? I haven't heard you say that, so things must be good out your way.

2BucTruck Thanks this.
  5. De Trucker

De Trucker Medium Load Member

Apr 21, 2015
    There has been a tentative agreement reached on contract negotiations. They find out on the 12th whats in it, then vote on it.

Ive been over at the Truckingboards many times. I don't see no evidence of an epidemic of guys sitting at home.
    During slow season im sure there are quite a few bottom guys sitting at home.

6. De Trucker

Apr 21, 2015
    They have seen 9% growth without counting the package side.
    But there is a lot of abuses using contractors at UPSF.
    This issue is being addressed at contract negotiations.

In the long run UPSF is the best LTL company to be at.

7. Mack185

Feb 25, 2008
    Let’s put it another way. Are UPSF and abf good companies as far as pay and benefits? You bet. Are they good companies as far as stability goes? Not really.

Now this is just me but, I have to have stability in a job. I can’t work 60 hours one week and 18 the next, I just can’t. For guys that live with their parents or have spouses that make good money, more power to them but, having years of inconsistent work is a no no.

I know you’ll be better off in the long run kind of but, I can’t spend ten #### years waiting for my job to get good. So OP, just take that into consideration.

8. Northeasterner

Northeasterner Medium Load Member

Apr 1, 2018
    Until recently I *was* living at home with my parents. It's not all it's cracked up to be. You can't grow, living at home.

I could use stability... I'll check into odfl in another couple of months. At 60ish cpm that means 400 miles per night and you're set!

Btw, how many miles a night are you expected to run for these companies?

Also, I agree. Ten years to work your way up to stability in trucking is absurd. For several reasons...

9. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    My run is 500 miles per night and is considered an "easy run." Our open drivers are occasionally expected to do well over 600.

Dont forget, the mileage pay is only a part of it. I also get an hour on the clock for drop/hooks and fueling every night.

Jazz1 Thanks this.
  10. De Trucker

Apr 21, 2015
    10 years was an exaguration. But two to three years is around what you'll have to put in and you'll be set.

But the two first years will be rough especially the first.

11. Russian Rabbit

Russian Rabbit Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2016
    Maybe one or two nights total so far. And really, things are so busy, i would actually welcome being laid off one night of the week occasionally................

Will discuss this, and everything else in much more detail when there is more time.

P.S., STILL on paper logs (hint, hint.........)

Bob Dobalina Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.