Linehaul at night?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Northeasterner, Apr 1, 2018.

1. Dabrian

Dabrian Light Load Member

Jul 27, 2015
    North Carolina
    It's basically a bunch of unfunny guys trying to be funny. Pretty sad.

Bob Dobalina and De Trucker Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    It didn't used to be that way, but unfortunately the OD forum has gotten especially bad over time.

4. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Where?

5. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    We haven’t laid anyone off in the 13 years I’ve been where I’m at.

6. Dabrian

Dabrian Light Load Member

Jul 27, 2015
    North Carolina
    Southeast..

7. 1catfish

1catfish Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2010
    my run starts at 01:30 am, 570 miles round trip. pays 319.00 which is 55.96 cpm. i miss some of my old customer's from when i worked in the city, and being able to sleep between midnight and 5am.

8. jcrack08

jcrack08 Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2014
    I worked for Estes for about 3 years and if the 0/0 gig ever fails for me, I'd go back to them in a heartbeat.
    That being said, I'd only go back extraboard. I took a 408 mile bid run Tues-Sat, easiest work I ever did. Meeting a Greensboro guy in Harrisonburg,VA. (I ran out of York,PA). I'll tell you though, I-81 got real old, real quick for me. Something about running that highway 5 days a week drove me nuts.

I'm quick to get bored and hate monotony. Which is why even now I run the spot market. There were some old timers running 630 mile turns that I had to cover when running extraboard nights. I don't know how they did it. No time to nap or anything, I struggled staying awake. I had new respect for those guys.

9. Radman

Radman Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2011
    It gets old pretty quick. Took me 5 years. My buddy covers a 600 mile run sometimes at Saia and he hates it. It pays 2k for 5 days but it’s a struggle. I know a coworker who was doing the same run for ODFL. He fell asleep and jerked the wheel and flipped the back box. Guess what? No longer working at ODFL. He was senior guy on the extraboard out of 30 extraboard drivers after years and years at OD.

And people think I’m crazy for going Foodservice. Actually it keeps me more awake at night moving around. Plus it’s something different everyday. I’m covering a partial route every week for the last couple months. The first part of the route is a 350 mile drive at night. I’ve been struggling so hard on the drive it’s not even funny. I look back and wonder “how the hell did I do that all them years?” Guess it’s stamina. But I can now over the years working nights I can stay up 24-36hrs with caffeine pretty easily. Before I couldn’t. I’d tap out well before 24 hrs. Funny how the human body works.

jcrack08, Cardfan89 and Bob Dobalina Thank this.
  10. 1catfish

1catfish Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2010
    i switch out at the 273 off i-81 mt. jackson, and yes i-81 does get boring.

11. jcrack08

jcrack08 Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2014
    Haha, so true. I also started out in foodservice before Estes. I was at GFS, I used to knock back those 5 hr energy drinks till they made me nauseous. The worst part about working nights was not being able to sleep during the day, and right when it was time to get up and got to work at 7pm, bam! Here comes the sleep..I was miserable.

I also had a friend while working at Estes who had the longest run at night, I think 650 miles. One morning I woke up to a bunch of missed calls from him and other co-workers. Come to find out he flipped his set right in D.C before the Maryland border. Ended up paralyzed from the neck down, he was 46 at the time.

I couldn't even bear to look at him when I visited him in hospital. Those night runs are no joke, especially pulling those sets. Gotta be on your A game.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.