Link to split break explanations

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Army91W, Apr 24, 2022.

1. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Your clocks stop for the 6 hrs (on this case) WHY because it doesn't know your not taking the long side (7-8hr) 1st....!! But when you don't take the required 7-8 hrs it sees the required short side and only counts 3hrs... so as soon as you go onduty or start driving all the clocks will change to show ONLY 3 hrs pause in the 14...

I do 4 splits a week..... each the short side is 4-4 1/2 hours but it only extends my 14 by 3 hrs...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    nope try READING the reg's..... it saids 2/8.. 8/2... 3/7.... 7/3

You want to take 6:55 fine but only 3hrs of it counts.... don't believe me just stop at a scale and ask if you can take a 6:55/3:05 as a split.....

I was doing splits since teens were allowed to do the 5/5

4. Army91W

Army91W Heavy Load Member

Nov 3, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    I printed the regulation.

It can only be two breaks not 3 ie 3 hours, 3 hours, and four hours.

Both breaks has to be a minimum of two hours to be a qualifying break.

Another break has to be at least 7 hours.

They have to combine for a minimum of 10 hours.

DOT is in a pickle because they can’t say maximum break of ten hours because if someone drives tired and crashes all they have to say is DOT said maximum break of 10 hours.

Flood I understand what you’re saying and I agree with you except that’s not how it’s written and that’s not how it counts down. Six9gs is correct that as soon as you hit a two hour break our ELDs will show straight 14 clock and split 14 clock.

I don’t need or care if I’m reading it right as far as ego. The reason why it matters is because had I been an accident after the 14 that could be criminal in nature.

5. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Might want to learn to read. It says at least 7 sleeper and at least 2 off-duty/sleeper totaling at least 10 hours.

Note the "at least" portion of all requirements of the regs posted twice in this thread.

6. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Well it would need to be "at least" 7hrs if your doing a 8 wouldn't it..?
    It would need to be "at least" 2hrs if you were taking a 3 wouldn't it....?

Don't beleave me if you don't want to I don't care.... just stop at a scale and plead you case....

7. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Let's be simple. Where does it say the maximum time is 3 hours? Not you reading something that isn't there, but where it actually claims the max time is 3 hours.
    I'll be waiting as you'll never find it.

8. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
  9. Army91W

Army91W Heavy Load Member

Nov 3, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    Thanks for link. The company I’m leased to has 100 trucks. They asked me to give a statement to go along with the logs and they’re going to contest the violation. Because it’s not citation it’s all paperwork no judge or anything expensive.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.