Little air leak

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by PermanentTourist, Nov 20, 2018.

1. PermanentTourist

PermanentTourist Heavy Load Member

Nov 9, 2016
    48 states + Canada
    Coming out of here:

20181120_212524_resized_1.jpg

Which is located here:

20181120_212705_resized_1.jpg

Hissing right where the green hose connects into the firewall panel thing. If I wiggle it just right, it stops hissing, but then starts again.

I'd like to fix it myself, but don't want to just start ripping out hoses randomly while I'm under a load.

Any advice how to fix it? New hose, new fitting, or maybe just pull and reseal?

And as a bonus, what does this green air hose do? Trying to slowly learn my truck by whatever thing breaks next.

Thanks, ya'll

Fuelinmyveins Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    Usually I just take the line out , cut off about half an inch or so and stick it back in. But you don’t have enough hose there for that.
    They are called ‘push-to-connect’ fittings. Installation is easy, just push the hose in. To remove it you have to push in on the collar immediately at the base of the hose, then while holding the collar in, pull the hose out.
    There is a O-ring inside base of the collar that can crack and cause the leak. If you can pick out the o-ring .

gekko1323, baha and PermanentTourist Thank this.
  4. PermanentTourist

Nov 9, 2016
    48 states + Canada
    Nice. Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll mess with it tomorrow at a TA, so if I really eff it up I can go cry to them for help.

5. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
  6. KDT

KDT Bobtail Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Indiana
    Make sure you drain all your air out so you can release the push pull fitting.

7. PermanentTourist

Nov 9, 2016
    48 states + Canada
    Yooo, that's a great advise. I always struggle with these little releases because I've been fighting against all the hissing and pressure. Now I feel dumb.

uncleal13 Thanks this.
  8. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Make sure the end of the airline is cut perfectly square or it will give you problems sealing up. Have you tried just pushing it in to make sure it’s all the way in?

PermanentTourist Thanks this.
  9. PermanentTourist

Nov 9, 2016
    48 states + Canada
    I tried pushing on it and it does stop hissing while I push, but starts hissing as soon as I let go. I haven't tried to totally pull the hose out and click it back in, I'm at a customer in middle of nowhere Texas and don't want to accidentally mess it up into complete inoperability. This line looks important ish, like maybe it goes to the red and yellow brake valves in the cab. Gonna wait until I'm at a TA or something to try.

I like trying to fix my own truck on the road, but I'm still inexperienced enough that I prefer to have a shop within walking distance when I do it if I have that option...

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
    86scotty, kemosabi49 and Long FLD Thank this.
  10. Makeajump

Makeajump Medium Load Member

Apr 19, 2014
    Texas
    As stated above, if you drain off all the air pressure, you might be able to push it in a little farther and get it seated in the fitting better.....a squirt of WD-40 would lube it to help it slide farther past the o-ring.......then pressure it back up and check.

86scotty Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.