Little Rock AR CB Shops?

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Dark_Majesty_06, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Clay Atkins

Clay Atkins Bobtail Member

Sep 30, 2015
    South Dakota
    Does anybody know if Ray is still in business. I'm starting a trucking job in a couple of weeks so I sought out my local CB shop.

I thought the guy was good. he's been in business for over 20 years and is supposedly the guy who bought out Browning when they went tits up. turns out his idea of a proper peak and tune was Cutting D11 on my new cobra 29LTD and removing the slug in the inductor next to the finals :( (AKA the Truck Stop CB ### "Golden screwdriver" route). I'm really disappointed. Now the SWR meter reads nothing from 1-40. So I used an Astatic external meter and got my SWR set to around 1.5 on 1 and 40. Reads nothing on 19 so that's good I suppose.

Sad thing is the radio keys up at about 4W and I notice NO swing what so ever with modulation. I'm really unhappy with his work and will never take another radio to him or buy anything from him.. The radio receives really well but appears to only get out about a mile or so which makes it more or less useless. I can resolder the D11 Cut, but the ferrite is going from the inductor next to the finals. When repaired and modded properly what should I expect power-wise. Also I plan on installing a linear eventually So It's my understanding I will need to have a variable deadkey mod so the unit functions properly with and without an amp. True?

Also while there I inquired about an amp and he said he stocked Texas Star amps that come with a small board and morse code key. But all you had to do was a very small mod to make it function with a CB. I know Texas Stars are supposed to be really nice units but I really want to avoid ever doing business with this guy again given my initial experiences. It this something I can do myself? I'm quite handy with reading schematics and am certified in J standard soldering.

I used to understand all this terminology, Back in the late 90s I worked at a TV station and so we had access to frequency counters, scopes, spectrum analyzers etc. An old engineer there helped me align and set up my Uniden PC76XL and it got out great. Anyway any advice would be greatly appreciated. I just want a radio that isn't all hacked up and functions well.

Thanks in advance!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mike5511

mike5511 Road Train Member

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    Yeah Ray is still there.

4. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Competent and Little Rock don't go in the same sentence, but you could run northwest a bit up to Harrison Ark for competent work....

mike5511 and Ougigoug Thank this.
  5. volvo244t

volvo244t Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Bettendorf, IA
    How does Russ compare to Mark?

6. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Each one has different strengths and different weaknesses but they are both excellent technicians

7. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    If you put those two guys together in the same shop they would be an unbeatable team

volvo244t Thanks this.
  8. mike5511

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    Build it and they will come...........(I've heard that somewhere before?????) :)

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  9. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    It's been thought of before but I think the two personalities would clash with each other

10. mike5511

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    Yeah I think you are right.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.