Live Loads - Drop & Hook Loads

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by born&raisedintheusa, Jul 1, 2020.

1. born&raisedintheusa

born&raisedintheusa Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2012
    Are there drivers who ONLY prefer live loads, preferring NOT to do drop & hook loads?

I ask only because drivers have mentioned, in the past, that some of the trailers involved in the drop & hook loads are not fit to drive, due to past drivers not pre-tripping & reporting defective trailers.

God bless every American and their families! God bless the U.S.A.!

CargoWahgo Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Yeah, a horse a piece, really. Drop and hook clearly has it's advantages, changing wagons is not one of them. At one customer, we had a pool of RR trailers, and before I'd sign the bills, I'd check the trailers over first. If you work for a good company, with good equipment, drop and hook any day ( or night)

alds and Lumper Humper Thank this.
  4. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    I have seen drivers that physically struggle with hooking and unhooking trailers. Airlines, 5th wheel release, landing gear, all of it looked like an uphill battle.

I suppose a live load/unload where they don't have to lift a finger would be more preferable

born&raisedintheusa and Kyle G. Thank this.
  5. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Yeah, then there's this while you're waiting,, make that flat tire on the drop and hook load seem like a better deal,,"AYE CARUMBA"!!!

Kyle G. and Redtwin Thank this.
  6. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Drivers don't care.

So. Swapping trailers really isn't preferred. You're always fixing lazy.

buzzarddriver Thanks this.
  7. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    But then they have to attempt to put it in the door LOL. I'd love to just drop and hook.

D.Tibbitt and Redtwin Thank this.
  8. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    So would I. If someone leaves you a crappy trailer, call breakdown to fix it...after you drop it where it needs to go.

9. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    During the shutdown everything i did was live load/unload so I had the same trailer for 2 months.

Now that I'm back on my deadacated run I have 2 trailers I use. Drop returns and hook parts to start my day then live unload/reload.. next daydrop that one and hook the the other... I'm the only one that uses them.....

10. TokyoJoe

TokyoJoe Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2015
    Since my company started paying 100 dollars for doing live loads a couple years ago all of a sudden I don't disapprove of doing them anymore.

gentleroger Thanks this.
  11. CargoWahgo

CargoWahgo Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2012
    Louisville, Kentucky
    That was me.

I hurt my back cranking up a loaded low dropped trailer at the Lowe's DC in Vernon something Texas. I forget what it's called but all those Lowe's DC's seemed to be in something Vernon.

Absolutely dreaded figuring out which direction the company decided to make the landing gear rise when you crank it.

Think I just sat in the fetal position for 3 or 4 days in the bunk when I wasn't required to do anything else it hurt that bad.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.