LLC Sub S

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by Triple Digit, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Triple Digit

Triple Digit Bobtail Member

Dec 19, 2015
    Looking for some advice... Doing a LLC and going to have to chose filing as as a sub s or not with the IRS. Not paying FICA on the dividends is a plus but is all the extra forms needed when filing and such worth it? Thanks in advance

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JoelP

JoelP Bobtail Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Depends on how much you net. Previously anything more than about $55-$60k net back to you was worth it. With the new 20% QBI deduction, might be closer to $75k-ish. And you could argue it makes sense at numbers less than that, but that’s a safe guesstimate not knowing anything else about your situation.

Triple Digit Thanks this.
  4. ast26909

ast26909 Medium Load Member

Mar 1, 2018
    You should do a single-member LLC, taxes for the LLC will be filed on a separate schedule under your personal tax return. A LLC is its own entity, it's like a person in name only it can open bank account, credit card account, own property... After the LLC filling you should open a bank account and credit card in the LLC name, use the bank account and credit card for all LLC expenses NEVER use your personal bank account or credit card for anything related to the LLC. If the LLC needs money write a personal check and deposit it into the LLC bank account that would be your 'investment' into the LLC, you MUST keep the LLC and your personal financials separate. Also get an EIN number for the LLC you can get it online from the IRS website, use the EIN number for all LLC tax related matter NEVER use your personal SSN.

RoadRacer and truadvocate Thank this.
  5. kathyegan

kathyegan Bobtail Member

Feb 6, 2018
    Schedule Cs get audited more frequently than S Corps, in my experience. In an S election, you are expected to pay yourself a reasonable salary, and pay into social security and Medicare. Many drivers find it far less painful to pay taxes through payroll withholding throughout the year than try to remember quarterly payments. There are other benefits to S elections too.
    If you already have your LLC and EIN, it only takes two short forms, we set these up all the time. However, the deadline to apply for an S election for the year when you are an established LLC is February 15.

6. Triple Digit

Dec 19, 2015
    Thanks Joel. I’m on the fence with the S Corp election. I’m hoping to throw most of the $$ (2 income household) at paying off the equipment so not sure the S Corp will be worth the hassle some say it is when filing. I’ve thought about making the election and not worrying about the “salary” as long as I don’t take any dividends payment to myself.

7. Triple Digit

Dec 19, 2015
    Thanks. As a o/o either way I have to deal with the yearly payments to the IRS. I’ll have to move $$ to a separate account to do the business withholding with the S Corp election and my own withholding from my weekly/biweekly check. Or no S Corp and still have the quarterly... I’m purely looking at the dividend payments with no FICA withholding and dealing with the mandatory reasonable salary vs not dealing with the the S Corp election altogether...

8. kathyegan

kathyegan Bobtail Member

Feb 6, 2018
    The term “reasonable” is deliberately ambiguous. “Reasonable” for a trucker given your cash flow needs. Many of my truckers just pay themselves enough to cover taxes.

9. Caseli

Caseli Light Load Member

Apr 5, 2018
    That's how Im set up. Heres a great laymans explanation.

Yoyoredrum, RoadRacer and Triple Digit Thank this.
  10. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    This is a great explanation! How often do you do payroll and what do you pay for the service?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.