Lo Pro stepdecks

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by villageidiot, Apr 28, 2018.

1. villageidiot

villageidiot Light Load Member

Mar 2, 2012
    Deep South Texas
    are all aluminum lo pro step decks worth the extra money?

I'm looking into buying a step deck and was originally thinking of buying a 53x102 combo and get the ramp kit. I'm looking for advice from you open deck veterans. What's the best bang for your buck trailer and setup?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. snowman_w900

snowman_w900 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2010
    What are you hauling?

SAR Thanks this.
  4. villageidiot

Mar 2, 2012
    Deep South Texas
    I live in South Texas so I'm sure a lot of it will be in Texas. I try to be home every weekend so I will be South mostly

5. villageidiot

Mar 2, 2012
    Deep South Texas
    I'm an idiot I thought you said where are you hauling.

I'm going to run spot market freight and beat on some doors for direct freight. I e talked to a potential direct customer that services oilfield production valve and metering valves. Some of those can be wide and tall. I would love to haul equipment.

Honestly I wouldn't mind running spot market and not having direct customers for a while.

6. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    The alum. are way more money if you will be hauling heavy all the time you may need one, The models with small 17.5 or 19.5 wheels so you can haul 10 ft. hi without a permit will cost you many blow/outs and fast worn/out tires if you will be driving much over 60mph, a reg. 22.5 wheeled step with the ft. axle that moves out into a 10ft. spread when needed then you can close it up if you dont need a spread may work for you?

FoolsErrand and villageidiot Thank this.
  7. Stepdeckpro

Stepdeckpro Bobtail Member

Apr 25, 2018
    Okay this is a satire account I'm using but honestly an all aluminum is definitely nice. I certainly recommend 22.5 tires unless you know that you'll need to go lower.

villageidiot Thanks this.
  8. villageidiot

Mar 2, 2012
    Deep South Texas
    I think I would stay with 22.5. I just wanted your opinions because it seems like I've heard of the 17.5 giving people trouble. I have also heard the tires are not rated for the same weight so a triple may be required.

Honestly I wanted some opinions but I think I would be happy with a combo and 22.5.

What are options you guys find handy?

9. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Versatility is the key, but only if you can capitalize on that versatility. A low pro with 17.5 tires has the potential to earn a lot more money than a standard step. But if you never capitalise on that versatility and end up pulling standard height step freight with it all it will do is cost you money.

It's like anything else. A Conestoga can make you a lot of money yet most guys just use theirs for regular flatbed freight so all they did was spend 15k dollars for a fancy tarp.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    FoolsErrand, Ruthless, DSK333 and 6 others Thank this.
  10. villageidiot

Mar 2, 2012
    Deep South Texas
    I think starting with a standard combo step deck and then feeling the market out to see if change is need is what I will do.

Good advice spyder

11. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    That's exactly what i would do. Im in the same boat right now. Getting bored with wide flatbed loads and looking for something different. Just got to make up my mind in which direction to go. Get a stretch and go long or get a step or rgn for tall and wide and heavy.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.