Load Board Rates

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by JonasTtrucker, Aug 16, 2018.

1. JonasTtrucker

JonasTtrucker Light Load Member

Apr 26, 2018
    St. Louis, MO
    All you flatbed runners out there....have you noticed this week the rates have dropped. Seems like it started last week. Any ideas on whats going on?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. adayrider

adayrider Road Train Member

May 7, 2018
    Everyone said ELD's would drive up rates. But I been doing this long enough to know better. First nobody was sure what to expect and let inventory fall (Obama) then the market took off so everyone started stocking up (Trump). Then rumors of trade war started (Trump) and everyone bought extra inventory. Now they are waiting to see how it shakes out.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    Tug Toy Thanks this.
  4. Gumper

Gumper Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Butte, MT
    They were low a month ago, but things have come back. I actually saw a normally cheap broker ($2.00/mile) posting their normal loads for $2.85. Those loads were hanging around on DAT for over a week.

If it’s posted cheap then don’t haul it. If you’re that desperate for money that you’re hauling $1.50/mile loads then sell the rig, and go work for a company.

DSK333 and kenn2632 Thank this.
  5. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    It's not just rates, the load volume shrank drastically, hopefully it's just summer vacation and it will get busy soon

6. firecatf7333

firecatf7333 Light Load Member

Oct 28, 2012
    I run semi local Van and have noticed rates slowing lowered past month or 2.

7. 6wheeler

6wheeler Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Yea... It's like the brokers and the loadboards working against us(flatbeds here).
    Did you know loadboards get their "lane rates" from factoring companys?
    Brokers can post fake loads. Spam the boards with the same load or simply never take down old postings saying that is up to the broker and won't do anything about it.

nax and DSK333 Thank this.
  8. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl

This is how the open deck cycle flows. Its like this every year. Different times of the year have different volumes to move.

It will pick back up in Sept,.. I dont expect it to be as strong as June/July was,.. and then really slow by the end of Nov. Things will pick back up again in late Feb early March. Thats how open deck has been for as long as I have been taking notice of when and where freight moves.

Part of being a good business O/O is know when and where to be.

Still rocking out the loads here. There is still plenty of freight moving. You just have t shift your lanes and routes slightly.

Hurst

9. Buckeye 60

Buckeye 60 Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2018
    the open load boards (like dat ) are the first to slow down and first to get cheap...... I do mostly contracted loads and didn't notice anything much but getting off the east coast last week wasn't fun ... they were playing the game got a brokered load out of Salisbury md. Monday got to shipper at one pm and he said not sure if they were going to ship it or not and just hang tight for an hour and he would come back and tell me one way or the other was supposed to pay 1500 to Detroit not great but doable . when he came back at. two told me that that load wasn't going to happen till Wednesday but has another one going to the same place but they only are going to pay 1100 on it ...... I told him that is fine called agent and said load was cancelled they have another going to same place but only pays 1100 and don't want it so since they cancelled the load I wanted truck ordered not used and he agreed and got178.00 .... now I know it was the same #### load and they were just playing a game but since he told me my load was cancelled I was in titled to truck ordered not used $ ..that's a new tactic that I haven't run into before

10. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    That’s funny, I get emails all the time from loadboards(automated I guess) saying we have such and such loads going or from your area..... “Name your rate ?”. Less to say I ignore them. I have my regular brokers that keep me busy.

11. Buckeye 60

Buckeye 60 Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2018
    that's the best way 85% of mine come from 6 agents probably 15 accounts ..... the over 15% probably account for over 85% of the bs

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.