Load Leveler

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Sportster2000, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Sportster2000

Sportster2000 Road Train Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Indiana
    Is it ill advised to use a load leveler as a header board on the front of a trailer? I'll explain better. Instead of using a header board on the front of a trailer could you use a load leveler instead. Put the load leveler right up against the load and secure it down, instead of using dunnage to make one. Since it would be right up against the load it would help stop the load from shifting forwards instead of having the rack at the front try and stop it after it gained the speed before it hits it. I am looking at alternatives to the standard panel because the all rattle so bad and they rust bad. We already over secure our loads. Are there any states that I would get a fine for doing this in?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SixShooterTransport

SixShooterTransport Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2018
    FMCSA 393.114

If you’re using the header board, load leveler, or anything else as part of your securement system then it must meet those requirements. I would assume that a load leveler is not rated for penetration, horizontal force, etc. so therefore it would not be equivalent to a specialty header board. You’ll have to make that call yourself though, depending on how you intend to use it.

4. SixShooterTransport

SixShooterTransport Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2018
    Also, I was under the impression that headache racks and/or trailer header boards are no longer required by law. Anyone know for sure what the current rule is on this?

5. Sportster2000

Jan 5, 2008
    Indiana
    This is what I found regarding that,

The header board is considered part of the cargo securement system. The regulations at § 393.110 say:

(b) When an article is not blocked or positioned to prevent movement in the forward direction by a header board, bulkhead, other cargo that is positioned to prevent movement, or other appropriate blocking devices, it must be secured by at least:

(1) One tiedown for articles 5 feet (1.52 meters) or less in length, and 1,100 pounds (500 kg) or less in weight;

(2) Two tiedowns if the article is: (i) 5 feet (1.52 meters) or less in length and more than 1,100 pounds (500 kg) in weight; or (ii) Longer than 5 feet (1.52 meters) but less than or equal to 10 feet (3.04 meters) in length, irrespective of the weight.

All tiedowns must be adequate for their intended purpose. These are the regulations in effect at this time.

I'm just worried that if I put one on there some DOT officer in another state will write me up for some obscure rule.

6. soloflyr

soloflyr Medium Load Member

Nov 6, 2009
    Houston, Texas
    I’m not a lawyer, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night,

If the header/leveler is secured properly to the trailer, they shouldn’t have a reason to cite for that. No different than a stack of wood being held in place with a chain & binder for a bulkhead.

That being said, there’s always that one cop that could force you to miss some work in order to beat a ridiculous ticket. A lot of those type cops write a ticket in hopes you’ll just pay it.

I would count it as a piece of mind, but not figure it into my securement WLL though. I don’t even do that when I have a load against the front deck on my stepdeck or front &/or rear deck on my RGN.

7. Sportster2000

Jan 5, 2008
    Indiana
    We don't figure that in, it would just be extra for piece of mind. The load is concrete blocks. 2 foot tall by 2 foot wide by 6 feet long loaded sideways. Two winch straps over the front and the rear blocks and one over each of the remaining blocks. Weight is 3,400 lbs a piece.

8. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Header board is not required.
    You can use a leveler the same as a stack of wood. Just have it secured properly.

9. Big John Classic HQ

Big John Classic HQ Light Load Member

May 21, 2015
    Why wouldn’t a 25.000# rated load leveler secured by 2 3/8” chains and 2 binders be worse than a stack of 4X4’s?
    In any D.O.T’s in any States regulations?

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  10. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    Have used 20k ramps as a header. Never
    Had a word said about it.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  11. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    It would be as good. That was my point.
    Neither is required by the DOT.. A stack of dunnage, a load leveler or a head board.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.