Load lock swap

Discussion in 'Shippers & Receivers - Good or Bad' started by CommDriver, Apr 3, 2013.

1. CommDriver

CommDriver Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2006
    I used to be in the habit of taking my load locks out of the trailer when getting loaded or unloaded. I would usually just lean them up outside against the building then put them back in after getting loaded/unloaded. It seems like it used to be common for the loaders to keep the load locks, and it taking an extra 10-15 minutes or longer, to bang on the dock door or have to go through the inside to get them back. It seems like this used to happen a lot so I got in the habit of taking them out.

But here recently I've had two load locks come back mysteriously broken, once when it wasn't even being used.
    So I'll probably get in the habit of taking them out again.

Numb Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. aiwiron

aiwiron Road Train Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Sunny Tampa Florida
    I learned, they come out before the dock get's bumped. Coke A Cola in Arizona will take them and they go into never never land.

4. dgc

dgc Light Load Member

Dec 2, 2012
    miami, fl
    had a driver run over a brand new load lock with the forlift, bent it and then deny it.. I agree with aiwiron, they come out before the dock get bumped

aiwiron Thanks this.
  5. aiwiron

aiwiron Road Train Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Sunny Tampa Florida
    But it was your fault for giving him the load lock, just kidding.

6. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    I use straps, never liked the load locks.

but, yeah, I remove them before the dock is bumped so they don't walk away.

aiwiron Thanks this.
  7. starsonwindow

starsonwindow Medium Load Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Phoenix, Arizona
    This deal is kind of iffy if you are accused of the load being damaged you have no out as to when you removed the load locks or straps, I never remove either one before the load is inspected for damage. I just heard this a while ago and have always kept it in the back of my memory. Be Safe Drivers.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  8. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    I do multiple drop and I try to take them out after I talk to the first receiver, it doesn't always happen, and I make sure I get them back, or they probably would disappear.

I have seen damaged ones but haven't had much trouble, I carry collapsibles just in case, but the others are available in the shop, so far;.

starsonwindow Thanks this.
  9. jbatmick

jbatmick Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2009
    hastings, Fl
    I had a refrigerated trailer once that I hauled multi-drop stuff on, needed several load locks to secure the product. Got tired of losing them , so I ran a small cable from the nose of the trailer, bolted near the top, to the rear of the trailer. I then used another cable to secure the locks to that cable, so the locks could be slid wherever I needed them. Took about an hour to do, ended my load lock vanishing problem.

aiwiron Thanks this.
  10. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    You should patent and sell that system , seriously .

aiwiron Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.