Load percentage pay with Schneider.

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by COVE, Mar 2, 2014.

1. COVE

COVE Bobtail Member

Mar 2, 2014
    Columbus, OH
    I am considering signing on with Schneider as an O/O and doing the Percentage Pay option. I pick my own loads from Schneiders own load board and I know right up front how much I will be paid for delivering the load. This sound good to me because I can choose where I want to go and when.

I ran OTR for three years as a company driver and now I'm running a day cab (home every night). Because I don't have recent OTR experience, they will not let me view their load board because I don't qualify (yet). I will have to sign on as an OTR company driver for three months, then switch to an O/O. This creates a problem for me. Since I can't view the board, I don't know what kind of loads I can expect in and out of Columbus, OH (where I live). Also I can't see what the pay is like, thus not being able to estimate how much money I can make using the Percentage Pay option. Their web site has a video showing their load board, but I'm assuming that it shows the BEST case senario. I want to view the actual board and see the pay.

Is their anybody out there doing Schneider Percentage Pay and tell me what kind of pay I can expect? I plan to operate in OH (and surrounding states) and out west. I don't care for the east coast.

Thanks...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ubu

Ubu Road Train Member

Aug 25, 2012
    Rumored to be somewhere
  4. Dr_Fandango44

Dr_Fandango44 Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Austin, TX
    You don't say what you will be hauling, is it chemicals. Also what percentage are they giving you. Will they give you the full amount of the FSC? If you get access to the load board will you get to see the rate ? At least you will be able to cherry pick the best loads, in theory. But there's so many questions to ask. I'd be skeptical about the fact they won't let you look at the load board now. There's too much of this BS secrecy going on. We have it at our company.
    Have you investigated other companies. Why Schneider ? If I were to give you my input I would go chemicals. Yes you'd have to get a TWIC card and hazmat but you've got the potential to make good $$ I've heard that Schneider chem division is not too shabby.
    and percentage is def the way to go, not mileage. I would shop around and compare. As to gross revenue, it all depends on you. You ask 10 drivers this question you will get 10 different answers.
    I don't blame you about not wanting to go east. I got stuck in a snow storm last week in Rhode Island. It was a mess and the fuel prices.........yikes. You have to box clever with the tolls too.
    but be careful about going west especially California. You don't want to go percentage if there's no back hauls out of CA. And if they are, what's the rate like. Plenty of cheap freight coming out of there.
    Just remember, when you go percentage, you've got to keep the deadhead down to the minimum. That's the Achilles heel of this way of getting paid. Good luck

5. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    As of right this minute, there are 38 shipments within 25 miles of Columbus OH that leave today.......there are 60 that leave between today and tomorrow. Highest revenue $2020 to Laredo TX ($1.42 / mile including FSC). Lowest is $57.80 from Obitz back to Columbus @ $6.42 / mile. Best mileage rate is the $6.42, second best is $2.50 going to Winchester VA. Worst is .82 going to Coshocton, second worst is $1.06 going to Bridgeton MO.

Columbus is a very, very strong freight market both in and out and you will never have a problem getting out or getting home. I highly recommend SNI Choice (percentage program) and Schneider in general.
    Here are some threads you might want to look at. Good luck!!
    http://www.thetruckersreport.com/tr...-adventures-continue-dfo-gets-truck-hops.html
    http://www.thetruckersreport.com/tr...choice-program-west-coast-company-driver.html
    http://www.thetruckersreport.com/truckingindustryforum/schneider/159117-running-with-schneider.html

Coragran, knuckledragger and atruckr Thank this.
  6. COVE

COVE Bobtail Member

Mar 2, 2014
    Columbus, OH
    Thank you to everyone who has replied so far. Very helpful. Much appreciated!

Looking forward to hearing from more drivers using Schneider's O/O program.

7. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    The number one drawback is rates are always take it or leave it no negotiation. If they were then deadhead wouldn't be near the concern it is as another poster pointed out.

8. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Honestly, I'd rather pick a load based on the rate, the distance, the weight, and the parameters for pick up and delivery than dicker back and forth on the phone over 5 cents. But, that's just me.

88228822 and knuckledragger Thank this.
  9. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    Except that 5 cents is pure profit. I'll haggle for every nickel I can get.

88228822 and rakusa Thank this.
  10. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    10-4, driver......it's all about how you want to live your life and conduct your business. Me, I'm kinda adverse to confrontation and haggling which is why I'll probably never be rich. But, so far, it's worked for me and I haven't missed any meals.

rakusa Thanks this.
  11. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I'm not talking about 5 cents you can get that much extra without hardly trying. I'm talking about 50 cents, a dollar, couple of dollars, or more per mile. When they need trucks to cover a good customer all bets are off unless you're Choice then it's you take this rate or leave it. They'll broker it before they allow Choice contractors to dictate any prices even if it means losing big. I and some other guys I know have really hammered SNI brokerage on rates many times when capacity was tight otherwise it's nothing spectacular ordinary cheap freight like everyone else. Some people compare it to Landstar. I say there is no comparison and LS is superior. Everything is negotiable at Landstar. If you can't or won't negotiate you are always leaving money on the table.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
    scythe08 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.