Load securement efficiency

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Lepton1, Sep 4, 2018.

1. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Even cast iron?

Tug Toy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    I've never hauled cast iron.

Tug Toy Thanks this.
  4. Lepton1

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Well I'm the fourth driver out of four, picking up frack trees and valves. This is mostly chains, some straps.

When do a load like this I set out my chains and binders on the deck, ready to go to work as each piece is being moved by the crane. Each piece is secured before the next piece gets to the deck. By the time the last piece touches down it's usually just two chains and I am ready to roll.

The guy ahead of me didn't secure ANYTHING until AFTER the last piece was placed on his deck. THAT'S when he started dragging chains and binders from his headache rack. He's STILL working on his sixth chain 40 minutes later...o_O

cke and stwik Thank this.
  5. johndeere4020

johndeere4020 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Ohio
    When we used to move barrier wall I would strap down while they were loading, I’d have the last straps ready to throw over the last pieces soon as the last one landed. I’d pass 1 or 2 brokers every round.

RedRover, cke, snowman_w900 and 3 others Thank this.
  6. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    When you can start securment is dependent of shipper in some cases. We do have a few that during loading or unloading, drivers have to be at a specific location, maybe truck or waiting area. Clearly this policy has come from something going wrong somewhere.

When and if possible, the sooner the better. Some loads, we do, it is important that the materials be very tight, so I want to get that secured asap, to keep it tight and allow the loader to push against that first pick.

The other thing is, my trailer, i want to see this load going on it. If it is not the way I want it to be, I can get the loader to change it now when it is easy, not later when it amy not be as simple.

7. Lepton1

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Exactly! Secure it as soon as it hits the deck just makes sense.

I was busy playing rigger and securing my own load, so I don't know why it took so long for him to put four chains on three valves. I had eight chains on four valves by the time he finished, including waiting for the crane to get each piece on my deck. If that was all I would have beat him through the cattle guard, but I had to wait for him to move so I could get in his spot to wait and load pallets of hoses, parts, and gaskets.

I know some folks like to take their time. I understand that. The issue is holding up the show for other drivers with the clock ticking.

Last month I did two loads in one day. The first load was "bottom tools" picking up from an oil rig 80 miles away from OKC, with SEVEN stops back in OKC, a drilling motors here, some collars or stabilizers there, subs another place. Fifteen straps on that load, and some stops I had to take off every strap to get a few pieces out. Dispatch called on my last stop and asked if I had time to do "the milk run". "Sure!" That's a 20 mile yard to yard move in the city that pays $800. Brand new bottom tools. There's no way some of the guys could have got that milk run done and may not have finished all seven stops.

Maybe it's just that I like to focus on my work. I know other drivers tend to want to way the tongue and have commented that I should slow down and take it easy. I AM taking it easy. I'm just focused on the process!

Tug Toy, RedRover and kylefitzy Thank this.
  8. Lepton1

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    You are right. Some customers insist that you are well clear until the loading or unloading is complete.

stwik Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.