loadboard for flatbed/stepdeck freight

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Roadking96, May 19, 2018.

1. Roadking96

Roadking96 Light Load Member

Jan 7, 2016
    as the title states which loadboard is good for flatbed freight.i'll be pulling 53' low pro stepdeck with ramps/load leveler.i plan on doing LTL freight also.i was looking into the DAT POWER for $150 month.but doing some reserach alot of folks saying ITS has more open deck freight.ill be dispatching myself so looking for realiable loadboard.also i got operating authority back in 2014,ran for year and half then deactivated my mc to lease on to landstar.now starting back up again so my question is will broker look at me as new mc or old??

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    I've used DAT 360 and ITS.

From my experience they will both have the exact same loads posted. How ever,.. for open deck,.. ITS will show approx 30% more open deck and specialized trailer loads that for what ever reason do not get posted on DAT.

DAT seems to favor Van and Reefer more than open deck.

Hurst

Roadking96 and villageidiot Thank this.
  4. Roadking96

Jan 7, 2016
    On the ITS which service would you recommend $149 or the basic for $35??

5. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    I've never paid for it. I just use my carriers account. Pretty sure he has just the basic.

I never used any of the other services they offered. You can look at the brokers MC# and get an idea if they are new or have an older number with a reputable track record. If you plan to use factoring,.. you will need to run the brokers credit score with them.

Its not hard to figure out. If you are a first time O/O,.. you are going to go through a learning curve as to what loads to take and where to take them. You will learn where the dead areas are and rates needed to go into those areas. Where the good lanes are and how to get back into them.

The key to spot market freight is being where you are needed and not competing with 10,000 other trucks over the same 500 loads. Or going into states with piss poor outbound rates. You'll figure it out,.. trial and error will be the best teacher.

Hurst

Roadking96 Thanks this.
  6. Roadking96

Jan 7, 2016
    10-4!! Appreciate it man.being in Florida it’s tough to get out with good rate.but once i get out i stay out few weeks at time.i usually work my way up to the midwest and stay there

7. PPDCT

PPDCT Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    As a broker, I find I get more of my open deck freight covered off of ITS than I do off of DAT, but I definitely post loads to both. I also find that they work better in different regions, too. For northeast work, I tend to find DAT works better.

HopeOverMope and Roadking96 Thank this.
  8. zinita17601

zinita17601 Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2010
    lancaster pa
    Get a central dispatch account and some over the tire straps and haul cars out of florida.

Roadking96 Thanks this.
  9. StrokerTSi

StrokerTSi Medium Load Member

Aug 28, 2016
    Lol Florida is one of the cheapest yo haul cars out of. Sometimes equipment and bigger vehicles are listed on there though.

Hurst Thanks this.
  10. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    I started with car hauling. Lost my shorts in less than a year.

Now with open deck,.. I have a guy in Tampa I haul stacked mixer chassis. Not a spectacular rate. But will be twice what 3 or 4 cars will pay on my deck.

Most of the time I just dead head up into Ga just on principle. I refuse to haul for Fla rates. I dont see how companies and other O/O's support that none sense and allow it to continue.

Hurst

Cummimgs Trucking LLC Thanks this.
  11. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    No disrespect,.. but unless its changed,.. Central Dispatch was a joke when I tried using it for car hauling years ago.

For open deck and OTR, ITS can sustain a savvy O/O with much better results.

Ultimately the goal is to ween yourself off the loadboards and deal direct with preferred brokers and shippers. That comes with experience and time.

Hurst

DieselDisciple Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.