Loading and unloading Hopper bottom ??

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by iamfargo, Mar 21, 2019.

1. iamfargo

iamfargo Light Load Member

Feb 20, 2019
    When getting a hopper bottom loaded or when unloading do I drop the air bags for my tractor and trailer ? Or only for certain products ?? Or for all products ?

And on most air gauges what will they read when empty- ball park range ? I know they want be on zero when trailer is empty ??

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    I dump my air to unload.

If your gonna use the guage to load you gotta leave the suspension up and the trailer brake released truck running so it can make air.

They all read different my current trailer is 60 I move to the back at 20. I have heard 70 thrown out alot too

4mer trucker, motocross25 and iamfargo Thank this.
  4. cjb logistics

cjb logistics Heavy Load Member

Aug 13, 2016
    Liberal Ks
    Man I never seen a tractor you can drop bags on. Like wore out said leave brakes released on trailer when loading, and remember a slight curve where your loading can throw off cab gauge/s and trailer gauge.
    If you don't go with in cab digital, at least mount trailer gauge where you can see it in mirror if needed; some places don't let you get out.

iamfargo Thanks this.
  5. iamfargo

Feb 20, 2019
    10-4 yes I’m gonna get a in cab digital scale how often should I calibrate it ?

6. iamfargo

Feb 20, 2019
    So when I’m getting loaded just apply tractor brakes not trailer brakes ?

wore out and cjb logistics Thank this.
  7. cjb logistics

Aug 13, 2016
    Liberal Ks
    I roughly checked and adjusted if needed at every scale; in and out. May not be like a love's etc, but you'll get used to them and realize if they need adjustment, or a pull into truck stop.

At the end before I went to pulling tanker with no set up for trailer connect, oh maybe once a month at a truck stop, depended on points.

iamfargo Thanks this.
  8. cjb logistics

Aug 13, 2016
    Liberal Ks
    Yes, you'll learn offset in tractor after a few trips. Offset meaning how truck settles with brakes on.,,, trailer too with released brakes.

9. cjb logistics

Aug 13, 2016
    Liberal Ks
    #### want to drop tanker outfit and pick up the hopper again after this trend.

10. Dynames

Dynames Medium Load Member

Apr 13, 2016
    Here, There and Yonder
    When loading on a flat surface, yes. Set tractor brakes and load. I have an air pressure gauge for the bags on the tractor in the dash. Start loading in the front and once around 53-55 psi, move to the back, wait for it to get to 65 ish psi then use gauge on trailer to finish. I have on occasion stayed in the seat the whole time and waited for the tractor gauge to hit a hair under 70 psi and been right where I needed to be.

On a slope, dump trailer air and lock trailer brakes when loading the front. When loading the back, dump tractor air bags and lock tractor brakes. This is where you will need to know what psi your air gauges should be reading or have your digital scales calibrated very well.

Whenever you can, load the front first when on a slope.

RockinChair and iamfargo Thank this.
  11. iamfargo

Feb 20, 2019
    Lol come on driver left lane with us lol

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.