Loading unloading flatbeds dangers, tips, tricks and procedures

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by the gambler, Dec 8, 2011.

1. the gambler

the gambler Medium Load Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Kentucky
    Everyone knows some of the dangers associated with flatbed loads from climbing on the load or trailer securing and tarping the load. I started this thread for posting some photos, tips, tricks, and procedures to make the job safer.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. the gambler

Feb 14, 2011
    Kentucky
    This happened a few moths ago with a load of pipe as they were unloading me. Note always stay clear of the trailer when unloading this product, a another foot or so and this load would have been on the ground or worse case someone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. the gambler

Feb 14, 2011
    Kentucky
    A trip chain is used on skidded coils or other skidded loads on a flatbed to prevent forward movement.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
    Iron-Man, Flatdecker and lowjo Thank this.
  5. T-RIX

T-RIX Light Load Member

Jul 7, 2011
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    I have a little talk the crane operator or fork driver before the straps come off. Allways use the correct rigging and learn the proper use of hand signals. Tell them how the load went on and it'll come off the same way.... smooth as silk.

6. blueknightnc14

blueknightnc14 Bobtail Member

Oct 27, 2011
    north carolina
    I get to start learning flatbed with Maverick 12-31

7. boxcarmonument

boxcarmonument Light Load Member

Sep 22, 2011
    Canton Ohio
    I disagree with the bold statement. I might tell them what it was put on with. Crane or forklift. But its up to them to get it off. If you tell an unloader/rigger this is what they did and this is how they did it. When they damage the piece or pieces. Who do you think is going to be at fault? Especially when 5 guys against you say the driver told us how to unload it.

I take the liability of getting the load there safely. They take the liability of unloading it. If they don't have enough cognisanse to unload something. They shouldn't be doing it in the first place.

To add to the OP.
    fifthwheel pullers are great for hanging bungy cords up high.
    Always have dunnage.
    Keep a hammer and some framing nails around. An old coffee can is a good place to put nails.
    You can never have enough edge protectors/softeners. Also moving pads or felt pads are great for saving tarps from getting ripped up on sharp corners.
    Clevises I recommend having at least 4 in the truck.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  8. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    Always stay on the same side of the trailer as the loader.

Bo Hunt, foresaken, Flatdecker and 3 others Thank this.
  9. cruisecontrol

cruisecontrol Medium Load Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Rockingham, NC
    Invest in a pair of slip on ice cleats. They fit right over your boots and work amazingly well. You know that aluminum trailer becomes an ice rink in the winter.

lostNfound and Female Driver Thank this.
  10. rocknsand

rocknsand Medium Load Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Tonganoxie, KS
    Always look to see where your feet are going to land when getting off a flat.

I made the mistake of not looking once and landed on a small section of 1" pipe and sprained my left ankle. I still had 100 miles to get home, luckly it was mostly interstate, so did not have to clutch very often. It just takes a small lack of attention to really mess you up....Be careful.

11. Old Tom

Old Tom Light Load Member

Sep 22, 2010
    SW Ontario
    I'll just follow your good suggestion by adding:

Don't make a habit of jumping off the deck to the ground. Sure, it isn't a difficult jump to make, only 3' or so, no problem for a guy in his mid 20's. Just wait till you're my age and the knees that absorbed that jumping down start to ache. Use a ladder, use the ICC bumper, catwalk, whatever, just don't jump.

T-RIX, alex94, Flatdecker and 8 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.