Loads from metal processing facilities

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by pavrom, Oct 19, 2018.

1. ReeferOhio

ReeferOhio Medium Load Member

Nov 29, 2010
    Ohio
    I used to haul steel in this area exclusively. Gave that up about two years ago for other flatbed freight, best decision I ever made. Was 185 where the rail cars where loaded right next to you? I got caught by rail change a few times, that really was bad. Or trying to find the 168?, it was all the way out back outside. Trying to find that whole in the fence was fun the first time in the dark. It's been so long since I've been in there. Actually was in there this summer deliver new rail road ties. LOL.

snowman_w900, jamespmack and Coover Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Coover

Coover Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2016
    185 was back in 4 deep, gotta love how everything takes priority over loading the truck driver.

Haven't hauled steel for many, many years and honestly, I can say I dont miss it or the attitude that came with it

jamespmack and snowman_w900 Thank this.
  4. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    2-3 hours? That's it?

Atlas Tube, if you show up early or on-time, you'll sit 3-4 hours just waiting to get pulled in if they aren't loading on schedule (and if you're late, they'll sit you until they can "find time"). Then if you're load is mixed types, you'll sit another 2 to load while they drag their heels around the warehouse "looking" for the bundles. Then get to spend the next 2 tarping.

You can get there at 10 am and still be run out of hours on the day... with Canadian hours of service rules.

And apparently they were worse before elogs came in.

Jazz1, jamespmack and snowman_w900 Thank this.
  5. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    i told my dispatch no more loads from metal processing facilities ..... can't afford to waste so much time

jamespmack Thanks this.
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    That little Bitty bit?

Plenty of time to do securement and nailing down wood cribbing at Logan County where those are Aluminum going to Busch in Williamsburg.

Me doth thinks you need a vacation more badly than I do.

jamespmack Thanks this.
  7. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    Is that Atlas tube in Chicago? I've been there once and twice wont ever be a third strike... They are terrible...

Independence tube and Allied Tube in Chicagoland area the same wont load at them ever again.

8. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    That's any of the three of them. Chicago, Plymouth, MI or Harrow, ON. But they have been improving over the last few years apparently (Harrow is still the worst).

I usually get the best treatment in Chicago, but I'm usually loading in Door 21 with the nice older latino guy who appreciates when a driver wants to help (despite Atlas company policy saying a driver can't do anything). I guess I made a good first impression. He even recognizes my truck at this point.

9. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    I’ve never had a problem at Atlas Chicago. Good folks there as far as I can tell?

One time the broker screwed up so bad a company guy with soft shoes and a tie came down to apologize personally.

And it wasn’t even all that screwed up.

10. snowman_w900

snowman_w900 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Door 185 was ridiculous. Nothing that goes on around there makes much sense

11. johndeere4020

johndeere4020 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Ohio
    It’s amazing and if you mention it to them it’s like you’re asking them to load the truck by hand. I don’t have a lot of steel mill experience but the Veyance rubber plant in Marysville is steel workers. When I was in LTL I went there some, first and second shift overlap by a half hour at least on the dock. The second shift girl would clock in and walk all the way to the back of the plant to the receiving dock. After about ten minutes the fat lazy first shift guy would drive the fork lift up front to clock out and she had to walk all the way up and get it. If you got there at shift change it was a disaster.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.