Local Jobs

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by landy77, Feb 2, 2011.

1. double_r

double_r Heavy Load Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh,PA
    Why the company trains them fresh out school. Who trained me 14 years ago? The moving company that I was working for, I didn't even go to school. Believe it or not, a lot of local companies have trainers. You think that a person with experience just gets hired and is put on his own? They still have to ride with someone for a awhile to learn that company's system, paperwork, customers, policies, etc. So when they do hire someone fresh out of school, yes, they can and do train them, THEIR WAY!

Newbies, it is possible to go local right out of school, even if the company says that they require a year of experience. WALK in and apply. Don't call, apply on line, send a resume, WALK in and apply and talk to someone in charge of transportation. You may be surprised. Some of these jobs may require physical work, working on the dock, working in the warehouse in addition to driving, but it is sometimes worth it. And if you want to go OTR after school, go for it. To each his/her own. DO what is right for YOU and YOUR FAMILY!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Not here they don"t.

4. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Well allrighty then guess you told me,lol.Maybe where u live there are local companies that trains but not here or at least I have'nt seen any.

5. double_r

Sep 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh,PA
    Any driver for a company can be considered a "trainer". Most local companies don't have trainers like the OTR companies do. They just take the drivers that have been there for awhile and use them as "trainers". Even I have taken new(to the company) drivers with me and have been told to "train" them. But I am not a "Certified Company Trainer".

6. double_r

Sep 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh,PA
    I'll give you that one. Location does have an effect on one getting a local job right out of school but it is not impossible for someone right out of school to get a local job.

7. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    You made a good point drivers have to go with another driver for a round to learn the ropes and that's what I have to do Tuedays.Go with a driver the first round the second round I follow him and the third round im on my own.Even when I drove a belly dump semi for a local construction company I followed a driver for the entire week and I had zero exp except from the school.So you're right and im wrong.You better suck that up,it's not too often ill admit im wrong,lol

8. Professional-Trucker

Professional-Trucker Heavy Load Member

Oct 31, 2011
    California
    Some things I still do not comprehend though. If it'd sucks that bad why do most drivers complain about all the foreign laboring?

9. ghostchild

ghostchild Road Train Member

Jan 16, 2009
    huh?? , what??

10. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    I started working for Polep distribution when I was 18 peddling product to convinent stores, I couldnt even drive out of state until I was 21, about 19/20 I started pulling doubles from W mass (right on the I90 and I 91 interchange) out to boston (LMAO at everyone that cries about nyc:biggrin_2559:) had enough of doing 4 14 hour days for a while so I went to end dump, took a pay cut with the overtime cut though, Would really like to get back into doubles. Im 22 now (will be 23 in July) with a clean record. my first day alone on the job I was in boston with a trailer and was told "have fun" did teach myself a few things (and pissed a lot of people off:biggrin_2556:) but never hit anything. Are you down near the city or upstate NY?

11. fordfan1975

fordfan1975 Bobtail Member

Jan 9, 2012
    Schenectady, NY
    I'm upstate in the capital district area. That's good to start early, I'm just getting started at almost 40. I've been thinking about staying otr for awhile because even if I do find something local, the chances of finding something pulling a tanker would be very remote I think. That's what I would like to do, and PRIME will get me into doing that if I stick around for awhile. It would also be nice to get experience and see places that I wouldn't otherwise see.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.