Local log help.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by soon2betrucking, Aug 9, 2014.

1. soon2betrucking

soon2betrucking Road Train Member

Sep 28, 2007
    Philadelphia, Pa
    Ok guys, need some help with logs.
    I have been doing local now for a few years and recently took a position that sends me 200 miles out, 200 back.
    I have to log I know, however my problem is this,
    I work 7pm-7am, my round trip runs about 422 miles, that's simple, the problem is that my trucks takes the same trip from 7am-7pm. So at midnight I put down starting mileage for that day, then again at midnight the next nigjt I have to put ending mileage, which shows my miles along with the other driver, a total of 844 miles on my log.
    How is this done? I can't show that I drove 422 miles more than I actually did?
    Our logs, paper for now, are set up with beginning and ending mileage.
    Anyone i talk to isn't entirely sure... so I'm hoping for some insight from anyone.
    Thanks in advance
    -s2b.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    I'm not going to tell you that what I do is 100% correct,.. but its what I do and DOT has never questioned me about it, So I assume it must be ok.

I'm OTR, but at times when my daily HOS crosses midnite and into the next morning, I dont break up my mileage for each day. I carry the mileage for the 11 hours of driving time and show it at the end of my run. Say I start 7pm and run till 5:30 - 6am. I average anywhere from 650 - 730 miles. So say I show my PTI on the 8th and sleeper berth /rest on the 9th,.. the mileage for that trip goes on the 9th. The mileage on the 8th would have been for the previous trip.

I know this is not always ideal and various situations can throw a monkey wrench into things. But right or wrong,.. thats how I do it.

Also,.. what I have done in the past when I needed to keep track of my daily mileage,.. I had multiple trip meters. I would start one after I did my PTI, then at midnite I would start another and subtract the mileage from the second to show the mileage for the previous day. Or, you can just pull over and write down your odometer reading at midnite and go from there if you want to break it up that way.

Hurst

4. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    I always ended my logs at midnight with mileage and then started the 0001 log with the ending mileage of the prior day.

5. zenaddler

zenaddler Light Load Member

Nov 7, 2013
    I would just include the morning endings miles in comments to show what you did. When in doubt use comment to make it make sense.

6. morlandoemtp

morlandoemtp Light Load Member

Jul 5, 2014
    New York
    Get some night log books, easiest fix. Or you can track your milege if you have a gps or want to reset your milege on your dashboard, you can set an alarm on your cell to remind you and see the mileage you have driven thus far.

soon2betrucking Thanks this.
  7. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    It seems to me you log your driving shift, which includes your hours worked/driven and miles driven with start/end times. 7PM-7AM, you drive 422 mi, logged 12 hrs etc. The day shift guy has his own log book and what he did doesn't affect you and your shift.

soon2betrucking and Hammer166 Thank this.
  8. postmandav

postmandav Medium Load Member

May 18, 2008
    south portland, maine
    I seems to me that you are trying to use a logbook for two different drivers. Each driver should have his own log book.

9. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    OK.

OK - 12 hour day.

What problem?

Nope wrong.

YOU need to put down the mileage that you use the truck for. YOU can put in the comments section the starting and ending mileage for the two shifts but your total mileage has to be for that 24 hour period.

10. jamesa

jamesa Bobtail Member

Sep 4, 2012
    If you start at 7pm on the 15th then your log should show you off duty until 7pm. At midnight, or at the next point you take a break after midnight you should start a new log for the 16th. On the 16th your day ends at 7am. The other driver needs to fill out a completely different log.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.