Local/Regional HH

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by idriveaholden, Nov 3, 2018.

1. idriveaholden

idriveaholden Super Heavy Hauler

Mar 14, 2018
    Wondering since i always see the same owner ops around every week. how many guys on here pull an rgn and stay near home? if so, how well does it work out for you?

There's also a ton of day cab and construction companies out here everyday, Twin Cities Minnesota.
    i feel like these would be the best places to get a solid start.
    Am i totally wrong and OTR is the only/best way to go? or going home isn't as high on guys priority list
    I'd appreciate anyone's insight

Personally I've got a pretty sweet gig now. I'm 26, going on two years pulling flats with a clean mvr, It's getting closer to the time i can get into just about any company, but i'd love to pull something more personal satisfying and interesting before i get any older.
    If anyone in Minnesota wants to mentor me i'm here... haha
    after winter of course. Maybe that driver with the light blue set up lol

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    I'm not in Minnesota but my company does run fairly local with OS/OW loads. It's mostly logging and construction machinery.
    As a rule we operate in about a two hundred mile radius from our base. The trucks are usually out and back the same day with occasional overnighters if it's called for.
    We've done pretty well with staying local. Our drivers are used to the pace...fast sometimes...and we have a loyal customer base that's been with us for many years.
    Most of our drivers can personally load and unload anything we haul. That's key to making several moves in a day sometimes. If we're doing local construction it's not uncommon to make 10 moves a day. The drivers are good about knowing what they can load over the back and what they have to break down for. They have to hustle but at the same time they need to be careful not to break anything.
    The biggest disadvantage to local work is that we get a lot of last minute calls. Somebody broke down or somebody forgot that they need a certain piece of equipment somewhere. It happens and you just have to grin and deal with it.
    We have a fairly decent working relationship with our two competitors and there are times when we'll cover loads for each other.

truckdad, Oxbow, BigBob410 and 2 others Thank this.
  4. idriveaholden

Mar 14, 2018
    200 miles fast paced, that sounds like the perfect type of stuff. i never been for the driving straight all day.
    10 moves in a day?? hows that even possible in 14 hours lol

5. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    A lot of the moves aren't very far. Sometimes just around town
    . Full tie downs though, even if it's just going to the next block. Our local DOT guy is real fussy about that. Too fussy...but that's just something we deal with.
    If it's tracked machinery like a Cat or an excavator, they can't be roaded and need to be hauled.
    The Cats can usually be popped on over the back of trailer but things like paving machines and curb/gutter layers you need to break down for.
    If we're loading or unloading up in the woods we'll use a cut bank or a brow log and put stuff on over the side whenever we can.
    Like I said, our drivers make it possible. Our two main lowboy drivers are both in their 60s and they've been doing this kind of stuff forever. It's kinda neat to watch them work...they never seem to be in a hurry but if you pay attention you'll see that they make every move count. No wasted motion, no do-overs. They get a lot of work done with that efficient deliberate pace.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    truckdad, kylefitzy, Oxbow and 2 others Thank this.
  6. idriveaholden

Mar 14, 2018
    sounds like you have the best job in trucking, in my opinion. Kinda says it all when guys stay there forever, i would too! i was more assuming these guys sat around a lot waiting for machinery to be used and taken back. but multiple moves a day would really make it worth the time and effort.
    that's part of the problem though, these guys never leave i think lol. most of the local places like that here don't really advertise that i've seen. and its near impossible to see any of the guys at a truck stop. the only place i do see them is at a construction site ill never go to or driving.
    I've searched around a bit, the specialty carriers and rigging association is a good place for finding companies. except half of them are otr and the rest don't have much specific info. if they even let you apply
    i guess it will just take a lot calls and effort to find that kind of place, with no lowboy experience..
    it has to be possible right? lol

7. johndeere4020

johndeere4020 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Ohio
    Trust me it’s possible, more than 10 some days.

Nothereoften, truckdad, SAR and 3 others Thank this.
  8. johndeere4020

Jan 1, 2010
    Ohio
    Just start hitting local construction companies and rental houses, in my area for some reason they just don’t advertise for lowboy drivers. I will say it’s more work than people think.

stwik, Nothereoften, truckdad and 4 others Thank this.
  9. idriveaholden

Mar 14, 2018
    i guess you're right, a construction company is probably a better bet over an actually trucking company.
    still whatever it takes i would rather do this type of work over 10 LTL van deliveries any day

Nothereoften Thanks this.
  10. idriveaholden

Mar 14, 2018
    On second thought, maybe not the negative 40 degree day lol

PPDCT Thanks this.
  11. johndeere4020

Jan 1, 2010
    Ohio
    It’s a lot harder when it’s cold that’s for sure.

stwik, Nothereoften, SAR and 1 other person Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.