Local roads not marking no truck routes.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by RayBlaszak, Dec 14, 2018.

1. tnevin225

tnevin225 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2014
    I always got a kick when I would call for directions and the lady would say she could get there from her house but that was about it.:confused:

Lepton1 and TravR1 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Omega7777

Omega7777 Medium Load Member

May 21, 2018
    to be more careful, walk to the middle of the bridge, do a few jumping jacks to make sure it is sturdy

Lepton1 and IluvCATS Thank this.
  4. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    Thats why i am leary about calling customers. If you get some secretary or whatever she will just give you directions she uses in her car. When i worked in IT I would ask the person what is wrong with their technology, but only used what they said as an overview, and ignored a lot of their details with just a smile and nod. They don't really know what to say most of the time so they just talk.

I drove my codriver to the ER because he was sick. The nurse I talked to on the phone said where to park. She said trucks park there all the time and the lot is always empty. We woke up, lot completely full, literally every single spot and we were trapped. Yeah, its always empty over night during her shift, but neglected to say its full during the day with patients visitors and construction crews.

Lepton1 and austinmike Thank this.
  5. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    You guys are spoiled to death having your GPS.

The OP wants some good answers (Which Im gonna give) Without Relying on anything electronic.

First things First- Local Roads- Why are you on it in the first place? Your GPS sent you there?

I Learned early on-You stay off "local" roads until you simply cant anymore (Which is probably 3% of every mile you will ever travel delivering commercially.

You CALL- You have a Cell Phone- We Never Did- And We used a payphone-

if Calling gets you nowhere......Then Rely on your GPS mapquesty thing.....Use it to stay on major roads until you simply cant anymore- Then Take your Time- DONT RUSH...Limp your truck easy easy down the small street....Pay Attention to your surroundings.

Numb, Lepton1, IluvCATS and 1 other person Thank this.
  6. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

RM 740 is my truck GPS. You can get a new 5 inch truck GPS for about $250-300. That's often less expensive than the ticket the cops will give you for being on a non-truck road.

7. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

"Turn left where Becky met Jeff."

tucker and Lepton1 Thank this.
  8. Curly88

Curly88 Light Load Member

May 16, 2012
    Rexford Mt
    Buddy of mine went down this road that had a weight limit but didn't see the sign till he was committed. Turned around a mile down the road and after getting turned around got pulled over and ticketed. He took pictures of the sign and went to court. The judge threw the ticket out and said you have to be able to see those signs before you turn.

I walk roads on Google maps on pretty much every delivery or pickup I make. It has saved my ### pry about a 100 times by now!

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    There have been times Ive tested bridges. The first thing I look for is a red and white small sign on the bridge physically where the Fire department has it's own axle weights and gross for that particular bridge. If it will take a 34K group then only one group on at at time at a bridge in Boring Md which rated really light. But the wood and so on will take a 34K axle group. Just not two of them. Fortunately its short enough to deal with just one before the trailer group got on.

The second thing is Ive gone to knock on the nearest home and ask to call the Law. And we will have them come out corral the few cars for a minute and figure out which way to get out. Backing or turning. That depends on the ground condition etc.

Directions. In the days before google earth, I ask to talk to operations for a shipper. They know the necessary trucker speak to get the good directions to the place. The last time I had a giggly front desk lady give directions in landmark form of all things I found msyelf following a rail line in a forest to get to the back of the shipper. I was never back there again. (Thank goodness)

Forth most truckstops kept a old discarded library catalog for the local area shippers and recievers. One in Illinois, a older 76 was famous for this. If you knew a new shipper you added the information to that card.

fifth I bought books for the entire NYC area and 5 surrounding boruroghs down to alley level. Roughly 200 dollars total. However I would be in I-78 at the 76 there taking over a booth a hour or two after a meal planning my route into Hunts Point. Been in there many times and still plan it today on paper first then google earth second. The last time I went there was back in 2001 and had wife with me. Nothing bad happened that day. I told her everything I knew about the place. Particularly the elevated offset we will be doing at about 30 to get away from one post set and get around the second. Told her not to scream. She did not.

I can go on. but over time you learn what you can and where you cannot go with a 18 wheeler. Even if the local law has to tease and laugh at you. They have been more than helpful. Now that does not mean all was well. One town Mechanicsburg had barnsized signs no trucks 3 or more axles turning at all. (Intersections with lights) I disregarded one corner and the police chief gave me hell while his force inched me past a building with a light rubbing of my 53 foot trailer against it. A few flakes of paint and that's about all it was plus a light pole and wire set. All that shaking going on up there. Tickets? Certainly. Paid at the next truckstop. I sometimes learn this way. I aint been back since. Which should soothe their feathers. =)

The internet is a wonderful tool. I can go visit a particular cold storage in Federal Hill on Fort Ave up top and most truckers will never find this spot. Unless they found the buried railroad and street car tracks making that particular turn into the docking area of that cold storage. The view of Baltimore is worth it. But it's a hard place to get into and you had to do it right.

Some of my very favorite incidents when looking for a customer or shipper, I'll pop in the current years business USA DVD that contains ALL, I mean ALL phone numbers for ALL businesses in the USA by zip, town, state etc. Type in the say the walmart DC at the corner in Tyler Texas and ask for a particular store. The first reaction is how in the *&^% di dyou get this numbner. Drivahs do NOT get this number WTF! Tell me how you got it. Certainly, 10.00 staples DVD for all USA. Now where is this particular store. Silence for a while.

I got my store information. It only took about 4 miles and two turns to resolve that problem over the cell phone.

Truckermania and Lepton1 Thank this.
  10. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    It's always best to ask for someone in the shipping and receiving department. The gum smacking receptionist won't have a clue.

11. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    These days, I probably run 3% of my miles on the interstate and US highways. Maybe 25% is on state highways. The rest of my time is spent on county & other local roads...most paved, some not. I'm happy with this arrangement, as interstates bore the hell out of me.

Word of warning: If I say I tell you I'm heading off through the sticks, I may not be speaking metaphorically.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.