Local route boredom?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by madman118, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2006
    FIGMO
    buying us dinner sometime next week. :biggrin_25514:
    around the barn/shop if anyone one of us mentions how much OT/ PAY first. they have to buy the audience food in the future. It's friendly and some do buy lol. fella brought in donuts the other day. senoir fellas are cheap basturds :biggrin_2559:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2006
    FIGMO
    Thanks for the useful information. How much is coffee ?

Marksteven Thanks this.
  4. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    About the only thing I don't like is linehaul with the same ol' scenery, pot holes and truck stop. Running a delivery route is okay because you get to know your customers and develop friendships. My carpet route I had I was home at 3 pm everyday and made $150 day pay. Here where I live that was good money back then. Another company took over the route and oh well, back OTR.

Every driver has their fit in the industry. Mine was long haul.

Shaggy and Moving Forward Thank this.
  5. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    As an O/O the shorter the haul the better...... Bonus is home every night, and the big plus is if there is no work your home.....

Not bored at all.

GeorgeDee Thanks this.
  6. Shaggy

Shaggy Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2006
    FIGMO
    Get back into it. Nothing changed in 2014, still can earn $150 a day before taxes. Too bad everything else has inflation :biggrin_25525:

7. Oi!

Oi! Road Train Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    What is it with senior drivers being so cheap? The guy that makes the most money in my barn looks like he's homeless. The day I got hired I saw him go in with the uniform shirt completely open and his beer gut hanging out asking for quarters to get a Honey Bun from the vending machine.

Then you see the parking lot. The nice cars belong to the newer guys (or mechanics or even part timers), the beat up 90s plastic buckets belong to the old guys that make the most money LOL

GeorgeDee and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  8. SlowPoke44magnum

SlowPoke44magnum Medium Load Member

May 3, 2009
    Walbridge,Ohio
    I ran LTL line haul for almost 12 years and hated most ever minute of it. I'm the kind of person that prefers doing something different everyday. I tried arranging my bids in such a way that I went to a couple different places a week, but after so long there, there wasn't much different one could really do. After many long discussions with the wife, we decided we could afford giving up that money, $1500-$1700/week so I could do something else. Now I'm running for a local dry bulk tanker out fit that also runs some vans and containers. I'm definitely not making the kind of money I was but I'm much happier and we're surviving just fine. I'm drive during the day, home almost every night. Some days I run containers from Toledo to Detroit (CP rail, not as bad as CN) and back, some days I run a dry bulk tank load to places mainly in Ohio, some days I run a van somewhere in Ohio or Pennsylvania, some days I'll do a combination of two or three different runs. The place I work is laid back, on paper logs, has pre-pass/easy pass and has 75 mph trucks:biggrin_255: Although this place satisfies the need for different things everyday I still yearn to be back out on the road, I just like my wife too much to leave her home, so in a couple years we're going to get an expediting truck, sell everything we own and take the plunge together.

9. Shaggy

Shaggy Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2006
    FIGMO
    This is only from my view. Those old guys have kids and grandkids. Daddy and Grand daddy provides his family with everything they ask. The old guys have reliable old cars and humble.

It's still funny and appreciate those old guys bring in donuts lol. Think they do it just to have some fun at my shop. One day I'll slip and those basturds will demand steak lol

Big Don Thanks this.
  10. Oi!

Oi! Road Train Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    You are not hauling bulk for Predator, are you? Just curious.

11. Marksteven

Marksteven Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Bumble Fxxx

16 years on the same route in the same city and i love the routine. Only boredom is waiting for Pickups.

Shaggy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.