log says sleeper, but...

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by soon2betrucking, Mar 9, 2009.

1. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    This is the correct interpretation. I believe the rule states that you recalculate the hours available to drive from the end of the first break used to total 10 hours. The only time I use it is on a tight run when I want to stop for a shower and/or meal in route and wouldn't have time to had I taken 10 the night before.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    That's bad but I definetly feel your pain. Do you know how many drivers I have spent hours with trying to explain how to log legal and the HOS.
    Honestly some of these drivers really think all companies only want the logs to "look" legal. So when I tell them no I want your log to be legal they will argue it is legal I was stopped by DOT that day and they said it looked perfect. I say yeah but did he have this or that to match to your log, no hmmm maybe that's why he said it "looked" good. Well if it's good enough for him it should be good enough for you. Then I have to explain but if he comes in to the office he has all this and that or lets say your in an accident and someone gets hurt or killed. But gosh one driver just couldn't understand what we meant by legal! Hello log it as you do it. Can't get any simpler than that, right! l.o.l.
    We spend 1.5 hours on our drivers that have issue's with logs and sometimes more!

4. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    EAsy way to calculate the 14 hour when split breaking!

If you are coming off your 8 hour break go to the end of your 2 hour break and count over 22 hours (because you count over 14 then you have 8 hours in the sleeper so 14+8=22).
    If you are coming off your 2 hour break go to the end of your 8 hour break and count over 14 hours.

That's when your 14 hour ends

Now driving time

Add up the driving time prior to your 8 or 2 and subtract that from 11. That's how many hours you can drive, however you must complete them driving hours prior to your 14 hour calculation.

Making marks on the top of your log clock is a very very handy tip for learning to split break and keeping track of when it ends!

I have sheets up regarding split breaking you should try and read them over and over. Plus dot has some however they don't really show with normal day activities but they are trying to get the point across and do a great job! Just have an open mind!

FYI: TO ALL DRIVERS

I had a driver Friday that was shut down by DOT and fined $1,000. (yeap one thousand dollars) because he logged a 10 hour break when he only shut down for 8 hours.

Guess what? Had he logged it as he did it he would of been legal! He doesn't understand split and probably said ahhh it's not that usefull anymore but guess what via the qualcom he was split breaking but he wasn't logging it that way so he is false!

Lack of knowledge of the regulations will get you in bigger trouble. Log it as you do it and I bet most of the time you are legal and don't even know it!

5. Thumper

Thumper Medium Load Member

Aug 22, 2008
    spot on if your in the seat your on duty not driving if the man pulls up otherwise your fine :biggrin_25526:

6. Dave27107

Dave27107 Light Load Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Midway, TN
    Please advise how you arrive at this conclusion. Nothing I have seen differentiates between the 10 breaks, 34 hour reset, etc.

7. lostNfound

lostNfound Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Home of the Stampede
    I only plagarize the best...
    From the "34 Hour Restart" thread.

8. Dave27107

Dave27107 Light Load Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Midway, TN
    My point has more to do with the "written" part of authorization to log "off duty". As you can see from the last sentence of para 3 (regarding written instructions) and also Question 3 and it's guidance, it can be up to the driver to make the decision as to how a stop should be logged.

9. lostNfound

lostNfound Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Home of the Stampede
    If you go back through the thread you can see where I questioned exactly the same thing :biggrin_25525:. There's no doubt that written authorization is required before it becomes the driver's discretion. Where the problem could arise is the lack of documentation even though the regs. specifically state that retention of such instructions is not required.

The reality is that it is a poorly written reg. and you should CYA by having written authorization in your possession.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.