Log Truck Drivers/ Logging forums??

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by hoptrot, Apr 25, 2014.

1. FireFighter_02

FireFighter_02 Light Load Member

Mar 28, 2014
    Keystone heights, fl
    Getting my cdl next week, any chance of being hired to drive a log truck?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. davetiow

davetiow Bobtail Member

Apr 26, 2014
    I applied to 20+ logging job ads, online, needing drivers 'right now', stating at least 1 year experience driving required (not necessarily logging experience). It's still my first year but I thought to give it a try just in case there was some room for making leeway. Talked to a few by phone, mostly the owners, who were uniformly very nice people, taking the time to talk a little about what/where they did, and saying that the year experience was a pretty strict rule, on account of safety and the insurance. Understandable, not discouraged, will try again when I have a few more months behind the wheel. Meantime, you never know when someone will give you a chance and some in-house mentoring/training-Best of luck to you.

4. hoptrot

hoptrot Light Load Member

Nov 26, 2013
    Southeast, GA
    yea, i can be hard to start off in logging but certainly not impossible. I got hired by a local timber company fresh out of cdl school, i dont have one second of OTR experience or any for that matter but they were needing drivers and i was in the right place at the right time and talked with the owner quite a bit and he was willing to give me a shot. it seems like your chances of getting hired are better if you get to talk with them vs. just putting in apps or online apps.

5. Khart_6882

Khart_6882 Bobtail Member

May 27, 2014
    It took me forever to find anything on hear about log trucks! Everything I searched came up about log books and elogs (whatever those are lol) I drive log truck in northeastern Washington. 86 359 with a 550 b model and eaton 2 speed rears and 1 drop axle. Kinda bugs me when people from other parts of the country call a hayrack a log truck, it's basically just a flatbed! Yeah I wish there was somethin on here for log truckers too though

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.