log trucking

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by biggi1996, Dec 9, 2017.

1. biggi1996

biggi1996 Light Load Member

Dec 10, 2014
    What is needed to become a log truck owner operator. All work is in a 100 mile radius. Single truck, will be hauling for someone who has a contract.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. NightWind

NightWind Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Sunny South, AL
    It depends on where you live. At the lease I'd think a DOT number, Insurance, time sheets. I'd talk to the person who has the contract.

4. biggi1996

Dec 10, 2014
    Okay thanks. Do I need a million dollars liability?

5. cmrdev

cmrdev Medium Load Member

Oct 13, 2017
    You only need whatever liability the companies you haul for require. Million dollar insurance is the max you can get but some really large companies require you carry umbrella insurance for more coverage like 2 million. Its best to check with companies that will contract you. I don't haul logs but for example, I haul for companies that require 750k liability but another big company requires I have 1 million. so I carry one million. Since you are getting a new dot number, and even if you have a clean cdl, expect to pay anywhere from 5-8k dollars a year for 1 million dollar insurance. Pay in full, you get a thousand dollar discount which is the way to go. It will be easiest and less bullcrap if you register the truck to stay in state. sounds like that's what you plan. Soon as you register for your free dot numbers online, you will get bombarded with fraudulent calls from people that try to fool you like they are part of dot and get 500 bucks from you to comply with drug and alcohol consortium. its a major scam. You can sign up for that for a cost of 60 ucks from your doctor that does your med card.

6. biggi1996

Dec 10, 2014
    I was told to get 1 million liability and $25000 cargo. My question is do I just need a DOT number to haul or do I have to get full operating authority?

7. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Are you leasing on to this outfit? That is what it sounds like. In that case they should run you under their authority. Or are they the mill or tree harvester? Who supplies the trailer(s)? Something not right here... And how about your tractor, is it set up for off road? The correct gearing, transmission, locking diffs, tires, suspension, etc.? And how are your off road driving skills, ever done it?

8. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    In TN, no DOT number needed, if you don’t cross state lines.

If you own the logs you are hauling, you don’t need anything but a truck and tags. Don’t even have to have a CDL, as it falls under the agriculture exemption. Most of the actual logging outfits own the logs until they get to the mill.

9. NightWind

Nov 11, 2006
    Sunny South, AL
    In Alabama you have to have your DOT plus the 1 million liability 250,000 cargo

10. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Logging in TN is the wild west. No DOT number, no CDL, no drug test, no log book. You can pretty much send a 16 year old meth head down the road in a log truck and be legal.
    Of course, they still have to pass a DOT inspection if stopped (rarely happens) and the pee cup will get handed out in a serious accident, but other than that it’s “anything goes”.

11. NightWind

Nov 11, 2006
    Sunny South, AL
    OMG and I thought Alabama was bad

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.