Logging off duty while loading/unloading

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Tanker312, May 13, 2017.

1. Tanker312

Tanker312 Light Load Member

Apr 16, 2017
    Been sitting here waiting to load for 7 hours now. What do you tell dot when they ask why you were off for 7+ hours?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Razorwyr

Razorwyr Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Meridian, Mississippi
    Id just log it in the sleeper, make it 8, and no questions to be asked

4. Nukem

Nukem Road Train Member

May 11, 2014
    As long as your legal and not violating the 11/14 rule, they won't care. When I'm out for the week, I log all times as sleeper instead of off duty. (which I use only when I'm not in the truck)

SheepDog Thanks this.
  5. Tanker312

Apr 16, 2017
    But if im in my sleeper, then the bol/scale timestamps will say i was up. What then?

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  6. Razorwyr

Razorwyr Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Meridian, Mississippi
    Did you print them out? If not, they printed them at some other point. Seriously, you're over thinking this. It's logged legal, off duty or sleeper, no one will question it unless you get an attitude with a dot officer

7. Cottonmouth85

Cottonmouth85 Bad Influence

May 3, 2012
    Floresville, Tx
    Tell 'em they stamped it while you were snoozing, if they'd even ask.

I'd lay back down for another couple hrs and get your reset.

RockinChair Thanks this.
  8. BigTennOTR

BigTennOTR Medium Load Member

Dec 5, 2016
    Tenn
    If you got a dot on your ### looking that hard to find something wrong....hes going to get you for something regardless...your unicorn sticker on the side if your truck might offend a LGB member that gets you put out of service due to inflammatory sticker positioning

yankatank, WildTiger1990 and Razorwyr Thank this.
  9. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    Every inspection that I've had, they've never asked.

BigTennOTR Thanks this.
  10. Nukem

Nukem Road Train Member

May 11, 2014
    Your only allowed to "work" for 14 hours a day. If you start your day with a 1/2 hour drive to the delivery, then go in the sleeper, you have 10.5 hours drive and 13.5 hours work, correct?

Say your at the dock unloading for 6 hours (and in the sleeper or off duty) you will still have 10.5 hours drive time, but only 7.5 hours left of your 14 hour day. (Which will include drive time)

As long as you don't go over that 14 time your legal and no DOT officer would even question it. Stuff like this happens all the time and it wouldn't even phase them.

The whole log thing will come with time if you've not dealt with it before. Keep asking questions until you understand it so you WON'T violate the rules.

Highway_Executive and BigTennOTR Thank this.
  11. Tanker312

Apr 16, 2017
    Ok. Now what if have 1 hour left on my 70, it takes me 55 min to get to the truck stop. I have 5 minutes left for post trip, but it takes me 20 minutes. If i go over my 70, but not driving is that ok?

Thanks for all the replys, this is my first time running elogs.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.