Logging off duty while loading/unloading

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Tanker312, May 13, 2017.

1. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    D
    DOT will not go over your logs with a fine tooth comb.If you're worried log line 1 and tell him you watched DVDS while getting loaded.I've always logged 15 minutes for loading/unloading and then line one till im ready to leave.Dot has never questioned it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Razorwyr

Razorwyr Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Meridian, Mississippi
    And I've always only logged 2-5 minutes electronic, 15 paper, no matter the type of trailer I was pulling. DOT has never cared about that either. So long as you show something, and the drive time is good, they won't care in my experience.

pattyj Thanks this.
  4. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Fair enough. Stay safe, driver.

5. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Of course some companies have their own logging practices but far as DOT cares as long as you show you did show you was at the shp and receiver they're not going to ask questions.Log books is basically a diary for the DOT to make sure you don't go over hours and your 10 hr brk.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  6. scythe08

scythe08 Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2007
    Portland, Or
    I haul tanks so I get weighted at every customer twice, loaded and empty weight. I match my logs to those time stamps. I log 15-30 min for me to checkin, weight and go to my loading/unloading area. Then I log another 15 when I "scale out" and I'm on my way. If it's close to my 8 , I'll ask them if I can hang somewhere until the 8 is up, then scale.

I've never logged a post trip on duty.

7. Roberts450

Roberts450 Road Train Member

Feb 6, 2016
    I log all my loading/unloading time as on-duty but then again I get paid hourly during that time and they wont pay us for it if its not logged. Lol

Jazz1, RockinChair and Dennixx Thank this.
  8. Antinomian

Antinomian Road Train Member

Feb 17, 2013
    The main thing is to have some reasonable amount of time logged as on duty. You had to go inside for a few minutes, you had to open the doors, you had to back in. You can't just show driving immediately followed by off duty. That can get you in trouble.

As for the 7.5 hours off duty, if that's a true record of what you did then that's how you should log it. I'd probably log it as sleeper berth instead of off duty though. Eight hours of sleeper berth time gets you an 8/2 split, which extends your 14. Eight hours off duty won't work. Has to be sleeper berth.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  9. poppapump1332

poppapump1332 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2010
    birdsboro,pa
    heck when I preload trailers for guys I log off duty driving then go 15 minutes away load trailer and bring back to yard and drop it!I'm still an outlaw on elogs lol

10. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    And technically you cant go off duty while at a shipper or receiver unless they give you permission to leave their premises. You can go into the sleeper though.

SheepDog and Tanker312 Thank this.
  11. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    That's perfectly legal. You could be on duty not driving 30 hours straight over your 70 and its not a problem. The whole 11 on 14 and 70 on 8 rules are about driving. Not on duty work. For example of you have a fresh clock you could drive your 11(plus the 30 minute of duty break) get back to the terminal and then go work in the shop changing tires for 2 days straight until you drop over from exhaustion. You just couldn't drive again without 10 hours off duty.

SheepDog Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.