Logging off Duty

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by ruschracing, May 2, 2010.

1. Skunk_Truck_2590

Skunk_Truck_2590 Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2007
    Stonewall, LA.
    Kabar is right in this case. You need to show a hotel reciept in order to log off duty other wise if you were with the truck the whole time at the repair facility then you are in fact on duty.

ruschracing and Kabar Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. trucker_101

trucker_101 Heavy Load Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Alberta
    He "could have" been sleeping in his sleeper all that time too. Show me where in the reg's it says you must have a hotel/motel receipt unless you have a day cab. As far as I know there is no reg that tells you that you must be sleeping. Sugested Yes

ruschracing Thanks this.
  4. Skunk_Truck_2590

Feb 16, 2007
    Stonewall, LA.
    Most companies do daily log audit's but something like that they could care less about. Sorry to say it but let DOT stop you and audit your log book and you'll be whistling a different tune. Log it like you do it. To me that wouldn't look legal but making the ilegal thing's look legal. #### that was a mouth full lol.

ruschracing Thanks this.
  5. Skunk_Truck_2590

Feb 16, 2007
    Stonewall, LA.

I have yet to see a shop that will let you stay in the truck or even in the shop area due to insurance policy while work is being performed. So I see how this can go either way. Catch 22

ruschracing Thanks this.
  6. rbht

rbht Heavy Load Member

Jan 23, 2010
    CT,NH
    I've slept in my truck at many shops while it was being worked on it just have to ask and believe it or not alot will let you depending on the work there doing, so what some guys are saying is you can't leave the truck at the shop and go out sight seeing or get dinner or lunch you have to log on duty wrong you can you dont have to be in the sleeper berth or a hotel to be of duty just relieved from work.

ruschracing Thanks this.
  7. Skunk_Truck_2590

Feb 16, 2007
    Stonewall, LA.
    I've alway's been told to leave the truck and wait in the driver's lounge. Not only at Frightliner but at Thermo King as well when I had to have my TriPak worked on.

ruschracing Thanks this.
  8. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    No you don't. I could have stayed with friends, family, etc. When I go to the nunya line that is exactly what I tell them nunya.

ruschracing Thanks this.
  9. Skunk_Truck_2590

Feb 16, 2007
    Stonewall, LA.
    Good point made. I'll go with it. Like was mentioned though, still a big gray area on this subject.

ruschracing Thanks this.
  10. Sly Fox

Sly Fox Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Are you relieved of duty? If so, you're off-duty. Regardless of where you are or what you're doing.

I've rented cars before while my truck was in a shop and went sightseeing for the day (or two). Maybe didn't even get a hotel.

There's no reg I know of that requires you show a hotel/motel receipt to log off-duty out on the road. It's none of the DOTs business what I do on my time off, or where it is I spend my time off, or when/where I sleep, if I do. I can spend 10 hours in the sleeper and not sleep a wink, but by law could still get up and start driving (stupid, yes. Legal, yes).

trucker_101 and ruschracing Thank this.
  11. trucker_101

trucker_101 Heavy Load Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Alberta
    yup,that's what I've been trying to say.

ruschracing Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.