Logging off Duty

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by ruschracing, May 2, 2010.

1. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    My co. has started using electronic logs. I still use paper logs (thank God)! Heard that they have line 5 used for off dutty and driving... and drivers are allowed to one hr a day on line 5. I have been trying to contact log dept. a few times so far but since they started using this electronic logs, the line is constantly busy....

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    Was on hold, waiting to speak with log dept... and FINALLY! they answered. Yep, in my co. line 5 is used for driving while running errands and doing personnal things. One must have notified dispatcher he/she is off dutty, not under load, no trailer and not conducting any kind of business for company. It's only one hr a day and if you don't use it, you lose it. Heck, I do that already (without company permission) and I use as many hrs I need. That's why I will not work with this electronic log, I'll not be their prisoner (more than I already am...)

4. trucker_101

trucker_101 Heavy Load Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Alberta
    Can I refer you back to the last line in post #20

5. phroziac

phroziac Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Gary, IN
    You know, what really pisses me off about this paperless log business, is the way it handles off duty driving...

you cant be available for a load, you cant be under a load..but just because you're under a load..dont mean youre hooked to it...

ever dropped a trailer and bobtailed to walmart to get groceries? thats definitely personal conveyance...

i remember once i was at a walmart live unload..of course they tell you drop it in the door and when theyre ready for you, yard dog pulls it out of the door....

it was taking alllll day...which is common...

i bobtailed out to get me some food. i was hungry!

why should i have to log that? i was not moving the load!

I question the legality of this line 5 crap. Personal conveyance is line 1. Counting personal conveyance time and limiting it is evil, but its probably just a way to prevent out of route miles..

6. jmcnewbie

jmcnewbie Light Load Member

Mar 30, 2010
    San Marcos Texas
    I have questions about HOS concerning teams. If the other team member is in the passenger seat, must that be considered on duty? And if it must be considered as on duty, then does that mean that one driver drives and the other must be in the sleeper?

7. Kabar

Kabar Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Pell City Al
    You got it. If your in that pass seat then you are on duty. Not that that is how it works in the real world. Just how it works if you get pulled into a scale or pulled over by a cop.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.