Logging personal time.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Sonnyb3, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    No.. You can PC to your house from a terminal. But, if you are dispatched on the return trip then you are on duty driving..

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Not exactly correct. If you're released from duty at the terminal, you can PC home. You can then PC back to the terminal to receive your dispatch...but if they give you your dispatch while at home, you're on line 3 leaving the house. If you drop the trailer and PC home for the weekend, and the company decides to repower the load and dispatch you on something else, you're on line 3 leaving the house with no need to return to the location you dropped the trailer you're no longer responsible for. Point is, the end point doesn't necessarily need to be the same place you began.

Also, unladen typically means unloaded or empty. While you'll find some who will claim you have to be bobtail, the regs say no such thing.

Lastly, you CAN be under dispatch, provided you are simply doing personal things such as seeking out food or lodging. You can drop your loaded trailer and bobtail to the movie theater and catch a show, restaurant to grab a bite to eat, store to stock up on groceries, etc...and then return to your loaded trailer to get back underway.

not4hire Thanks this.
  4. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    On paper logs, any time there is no paper trail or electronic trail as to what you are doing or to prove you are doing work, it's off-duty.

not4hire Thanks this.
  5. USA Trucker

USA Trucker Light Load Member

Oct 2, 2017
    Are you saying that stops your clock on the 14 hour rule?

You drive to consignee and spend an hour dropping trailer. Go on PC for 4 hours for example. Then go back to consignee and pick up trailer and you still have 13 hours of your day left?

6. Pedigreed Bulldog

May 7, 2011
    No. He's saying he uses PC to get home from a drop lot, then after taking a 10, uses PC to get back to his trailer to delay the start of his 14 until he's hooked up and ready to roll.

7. USA Trucker

USA Trucker Light Load Member

Oct 2, 2017
    He said he used PC after dropping trailer at consignee and then drove to a truck stop. Then drove back to get trailer when they called and said it was ready.

quote "Yesterday the consignee asked me to drop my trailer in their yard and told me they would call me when ready. I used pc to bobtail to the nearest truckstop, took a shower, ate lunch etc and bobtailed back using pc.

Saves a lot of time on the old 70."

8. Pedigreed Bulldog

May 7, 2011
    Sorry, didn't click to expand the quote & only saw the top part where he talked about going home.

The answer is still "No, the 14 hour clock does not stop". From the time you drop to line 3 or 4 at the start of your day, that 14 hour clock is ticking. Only thing that stops that 14 hour clock is 8 hours in the sleeper...or 10 hours on lines 1 and/or 2.

9. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Not correct; there is no requirement for recording PC on paper logs on either the graph grid or in remarks unless the driver's location (municipality) changes. The driver does have to include any PC mileage in their daily total, but it does not need to be broken out separately on their logs.

A driver should note in a separate location their PC mileage as they may be eligible for a refund of any road/fuel tax for PC use.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  10. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    But...I never said anyrhing about stopping the 14 hour clock ;-)

11. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    I drove 50 miles from the terminal to my house.. line 1 and a comment of PC... mileage was never added in..

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.