Logging

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Crossbones, Apr 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    And it is the way it is designed to be. Allow me hit the target with his comment. Sleepers were designed for teams back in the day when there were a heck of a lot more carriers using teams. Because of this it is designed to be a place for the off duty driver to go rest. Honestly the FMCSA really don't care if you log 10 hours off duty 10 hours sleeper or a combination of them. Just make sure you take the 10 and go off duty. The DOT regulations are like the IRS, OSHA and the EPA regulations. Huge amount of gray area. This is one such gray area. It is implied they want you in the sleeper. I admit that. There just is no clear specific regulatory guidance that says a driver SHALL log a change of duty status if you exit the sleeper. The kicker though goes much deeper then a silly point in a regulation and honestly bothers me much more. It is drivers that develop diarrhea of the mouth when stopped by a cop. At a time when they need to zip it they start telling the cop their life story and a minute by minute detail of their last 24 hours to 7 days. THIS is what trips a driver up in just about every case. Between the QC, cameras and GPS following a driver there is not much privacy left anyway. Why does a driver feel the need to become a diplomat while stopped and answer a bunch of questions that dang cop is NOT entitled to get an answer. THIS is where a driver gets screwed over in a gray area of the regulations like this.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    The general consensus and enforcement by DOT has been 8 hours continuous sleeper is required unless you use a hotel.

striker Thanks this.
  4. Atlanta trucker

Atlanta trucker Road Train Member

Jan 25, 2017
    I emailed the citation to you. I did not get the citation it was a case study.

5. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I downloaded the image and as soon as I can I will post it. Just be aware the violation seems to have resulted in no ticket being issued and was for logging off duty when in the sleeper. It really was not a violation stating a driver logging sleeper time exited for physiological reasons and made no change of duty log to account for it. However that violation really backs up my primary point about answering a cops questions. There is more comments I would like to make but would rather make them in a PM.

6. Atlanta trucker

Jan 25, 2017
    Pm me

7. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    You do not have to sleep when you are off duty. You only need to be off duty.

8. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
  9. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Yes, save the sleeping for when you are on duty!!:D

10. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    Lol @ the internet lawyers

11. Atlanta trucker

Jan 25, 2017
    That citation that i sent to Moose1958 said 21 CSA points !!!!!!!!!

21 CSA points !!!!!!!!!

Freedom works , government doesnt

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.