Long distance cb

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Sgonza101, Mar 12, 2018.

1. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    SSB isn't exclusive to cb

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Sgonza101

Sgonza101 Light Load Member

Mar 10, 2018
    Thanks for the info.

4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Dude, ham radio won't work for you consistently, hate to discourage you but the only communication skills method that will work are letters, old phones that use wires and cell phones.

The important question is this - why not a cell phone?

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  5. Sgonza101

Mar 10, 2018
    Just wanted a second way of communication. I don't know much about HAM but from what I'm figuring out and looks like it is that ham is only reliable as the repeaters are. Without a repeater close by you won't get a connection.

6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Don't be offended by this but you assume too much.

Repeaters are just one thing with amateur radio, there is so much more.

buddyd157 Thanks this.
  7. Sgonza101

Mar 10, 2018
    It's just hard to wrap my head around something that I don't fully understand.

8. VolvoTerry

VolvoTerry Light Load Member

Sep 7, 2015
    Based out of Omaha,NE
    I can talk almost everywhere in this country daily via repeaters/ echolink and other avenues that would take to long to explain. Suffice it to say cb is a bad option for what you are wanting to do and the start up cost and learning curve of using Ham radio would not make sense either.

9. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    best thing to do, seriously, is look this up on google, read the HAM operation and federal procedures at your own pace, THEN ask questions. many youtube videos on HAM operations may be of some help as well.

at one time, Morse Code WAS required to get a HAM license, that has been long ago not required anymore.

if it were not for the initial outlay of cash. and then MORE cash to get MORE HAM stuff, i'd be doing it myself as a hobby.

but at my age now, to get fully involved with HAM is not in the cards for me.

if you were to talk with HAM operators, you'd swear that HAM radio was the best thing since sliced bread!!!!

10. VolvoTerry

VolvoTerry Light Load Member

Sep 7, 2015
    Based out of Omaha,NE
    I am a Ham operator. And it is wonderful but under the current sun cycle propagation makes planned nets or regular communication difficult at best. This period of the cycle is when guys 20 plus years in amateur radio like myself take the time to add too or fine tune our set up to make the best of poor propagation and be ready for the improved period to come,

buddyd157 Thanks this.
  11. Meteorgray

Meteorgray Heavy Load Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Someone wanting reliable, private and long-range communications while moving on the road has one choice: cell phones. And it is a wonderful choice to have.

CB is the choice for getting information from other drivers in his/her immediate vicinity relating to road conditions, traffic holdups, police, etc. It is a wonderful choice to have.

Ham is the choice for a hobby to explore the possibilities of long-range communicating via lots of equipment with like-minded folks around the world. It, too, is a wonderful choice to have.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.