Long guns in trucks

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by LTL Bull, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    I don't see how an unloaded rifle or shotgun in your truck is going to be of much help in typical self-defense situations where you are out on foot away from the truck and need to be able to draw quickly for it to be of any use in stopping a bad guy. And I can't think of too many hypothetical situations where you'd be justified in shooting somebody with a long gun from in and around your truck without landing in hot water. Long guns can be practical for home defense but otherwise are more suited to sporting or combat situations where there is no need to be discreet about it. Situational awareness and not putting yourself in potentially dangerous areas is going to be your best self-defense tool. After that a concealed pistol but only if you're well trained with it.

rachi, Tb0n3 and TallJoe Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Long guns are not really first choice for home defense, You have to consider where the bullet is going to keep traveling to after it leaves the interior of your home. In certain areas a AR style is not bad, but not in a residential area where you have other homes close, or the likelihood of people that could be come unattended targets.

I'm all about personal rights, but you also have an increased responsibility when you decide to pull that trigger. You certain do not want a manslaughter charge from someone outside that you never saw. The rounds I use in my Glock are designed for home protection, I'm not stating what they are because you need to put your own homework into what your going to shoot.

You also need to go out to a range and practice a lot, and regular practice sessions. Unfortunately, most guns are sold to people that but them stick them into a closet and never take them out and practice with them. Just like backing into a dock, shooting is a skill that needs to be practiced.

God's speed in your travels, stay alert and safe in this time of uncertainty.

rachi, TripleSix and Tb0n3 Thank this.
  4. farmerjohn64

farmerjohn64 Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2019
    Old post but that is one fine weapon, coming from someone who prefers hard wood stocks

TripleSix Thanks this.
  5. Nostalgic

Nostalgic Road Train Member

Mar 6, 2017
    PA
    I've considered just keeping a few of them strapped to the passenger seat. Not sure how well "it's not a firearm" would go going into military bases though.

6. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    I'm a neutral guy when it comes to fire arms. But even I have to say that this is BEAUTIFUL! I'm loving it.

TripleSix Thanks this.
  7. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    EC2ED662-2781-4FCC-8656-C571CEED7561.jpeg
    I like hardwood too. I bought 4 of them, 3 hidden around the house and the 4th goes with me.
    I like the wood and leather look.

I 3FC4A89A-A588-4705-AE2E-6D17203F4BBE.jpeg

8. farmerjohn64

farmerjohn64 Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2019
    Gonna get me one maybe my first real paycheck, my wench bar is getting the job done right now, but it’s not nearly as easy to swing around as that and doesn’t pack as big a punch either; I’d load that sucker up with some double 00 buckshot, or bird shot if you just wanna be an a hole lmao

9. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Build your funds first. You need $1000 in ‘just in case my company is a POS’ money. Work on your situational awareness.

10. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    I wouldn't like to be the one to test it. I do know that in Florida at least felons who are prohibited from owning firearms can have black powder muzzle loaders. Different states may not make that determination. "If it looks like a gun and fires a projectile..."

11. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I’ll bet I know which states those are.

“If it looks like a machine gun...”

TripleSix and Redtwin Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.