Long time no see!

Discussion in 'Prime' started by Sourdough, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Sourdough

Sourdough Light Load Member

Nov 6, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    It has definitely been awhile since I've posted if these forums. I definitely want to catch everybody up an answer outstanding questions that were asked.

As some of you are aware by my last video that I posted, I stayed with the flatbed division at prime and chose to go lease. No, don't worry this isn't going to turn into a rant on leasing. Actually, quite the contrary.

Before I get into the subject of Profitability of leasing, Let me just quickly answer some questions And catch everyone up on where I'm at right now.

Yes, you will be drug tested. Honestly, I don't know why I even have to address this. Now I'm not out to judge anybody, But if you're the kind of person who chooses to continue to smoke a bowl, I would personally prefer if you stayed off the road entirely. The last thing I want to hear about Is you being high and killing somebody. I really don't care if you live in Washington or Colorado. Federal Regulations still prohibit you from Being under the influence. Grow up, put away the blunt, And quit being stupid.

Military veterans: You should not need to bring a copy of your DD 214. I was never asked for it. Just put down the pertinent information on the application.

If you have ever been under a prescription for psychiatric medications, or are taking prescriptions of any kind now,bring this information with you as well. I can't tell you how many people I saw at orientation get the boot because they didn't come prepared.

Now on to the good stuff:

Get your CDL permit before coming. I can't stress that enough. Otherwise, you're only going to have 3 days to master the test. Better use of that time is spent getting the other requirements out of the way and logging your simulator time.

Master the art of being early. You will absolutely be dismissed from the course if you are late more than once. Early is on time, on time is late. So it will be your entire trucking career.

Those who are not in a hurry to get on the road because they have some finances put away already have a distinct advantage. If for some reason you wish to change instructors, or are choosing to go lease and want to take your time in choosing a truck, you can afford to do that.

Remember that the 200 dollars per week you receive while CDL training, is nothing more than an advance. Once you start TNT, the event is going to start coming out of your salary at 25 dollars per week.

Now on to my personal recommendations for choosing your path:

If you feel that you are out of shape and could stand to lose a few pounds, go flatbed. Otherwise do not do it for the reasons listed below.

1. The 50 dollars you are paid for tarping is totally not worth it. Depending on the load, this can take you anywhere from 1 to 4 hours. During my run with prime, I tarped an average of 76 percent of my loads. 30 percent of those recommended plastic as well.

2. Waiting to be loaded plus having to tarp equals lost money. To make up for this lost time, you have to run hard.

3. Equipment overhead. Edge protection will only protect your tarps so much. These are strictly coming out of your pocket. The tarps that prime provides are heavy duty, but hauling steel always has the risk of ruining your tarps.

Now, I don't know if this is exclusive to the flatbed division or not but the amount of deadhead I logged is crazy. If you are running an allied steel or atkore load you will often be sent to places way out in the boonies. Minnesota, Montana, and the Dakotas. Your next load could be upwards of 400 miles away. If you are lease, this is lost revenue.

As a solo driver, I would not recommend going lease. If you plan on doing team runs or will take TNT students, then by all means make the cash and go lease.

If you are a stubborn headed as I am, then as a solo least driver, you can make anywhere upwards of 800 to 1600 a week so long as you run hard and smart.

Start running as soon as that 10 hour reset is over. Run at night time as much as possible to avoid traffic. Park as close as you can to the receiver if you have to stay overnight to avoid starting your clock early. This will leave you more time on your e-logs to load. You can fit an extra load in during the week if you can manage to pull off all of the above. Using these techniques, my highest ever grossing week was right at 2600 dollars. It can be done, but you will be tired, exhausted, and grouchy.

Detention pay: don't hold your breath. Prime's statistics on how much detention pay drivers were eligible for but didn't bill for are based only on those customers who actually pay it. In the flatbed division, numerous shippers are contractually protected from having to pay detention because of the expected extended load times. I billed detention for 23 of my loads. I got paid for 6 and not nearly what I billed out for.

If you can, run Charlotte pipe as much as possible. Pre loaded trailers and no tarping makes for easy money and they pay well.

As for me, I have switched companies and now driving with Schneider. I found a dedicated route that gets me home every night and weekends off. I consider myself very fortunate to get this position. 520 miles per day from Ann Arbor to Chicago and back. I'm no longer doing flatbed and I honestly can't say that I miss it.

Please consider leasing only if you are running team. Otherwise, grit your teeth as a company driver until such time as you can get your own truck or find a partner. As for me, I am working towards my own truck and hope to be full owner operator by this time next year. I probably will not update any Sourdough Diaries until that time.

Stay safe out there!

rcd127, 123456, Bumpy and 4 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.