Longest Live Load/Unload? Can u top this?

Discussion in 'Shippers & Receivers - Good or Bad' started by shaken, Dec 22, 2006.

1. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY

About 3 days longer than I would have waited.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. palerdr

palerdr Medium Load Member

Nov 18, 2007
    albuquerque,n.m
    after all, it was probably the dumb truck driver who didn't get the sugar bags there on time in the first place. they can't pack it without the bags.

4. gitrdone5782

gitrdone5782 Light Load Member

Dec 22, 2007
    Lima Ohio
    perrysburg oh wallgreens dist center 12 hours and man was i mad

5. travelfraggle

travelfraggle Light Load Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Atlanta,Ga.
    In Greeley Co. pu #600am supposed to be a drop n hook was there 2 hrs early left at 800am next day. the worst so far for me. at least they said they were behind...and the same trlr I dropped was the same one i picked up.:biggrin_2551:

6. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    Decided to run xmas day to let families with kids have some time with them... got a 1200 mile run pulled off of me.... got their 24 Dec... about 8am.. my load was not loaded.. no one working.. was a D&H... so called dispatch.. took them two hours to figure it out... so they gave me a 600 mile run.. got to shipper (middle of KY out in the country)... made it to Rockford, IL mid afternoon.. after spending 45 minutes trying to figure out how to get the trk turned around... lets see... off exit go 4 (four) lights... should have been 1st light... Rockford is not trk friendly.. waved to a cop to get help back to US 20.. he looked at me and drove off... then finally got to the Lowes DC.. right off exit... huge huge huge DC and not a silly simple sign at the intersection letting you know where to turn... like we always get great directions... nothing on building either. pulled in on xmas day... was told no one will be in to work till 1600 cst... so i sit for 5 hours.... email, call, verify... things a csr should have done when they got the appt for a holiday... was a simple D&H 24 within 24 hours... good thing i did not get their early am....

7. TrooperRat

TrooperRat Medium Load Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Miami, Florida. Driving for Werner. 5 days. 5 freakin' days, sitting in that miserable city, waiting for a load OUT of there.
    I didn't drive for Werner too terribly long....

8. Joethemechanic

Joethemechanic Medium Load Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Phila Pa
    On a railroad construction site in NYC. 30 hours from the time I got there until I was unloaded and ready to go. And in a day cab tractor.

A storm hit just after I got there. Then a tree fell taking the wires down and the whole mess landed on the tracks.

I was dancing around singing "Pennies From Heaven". It was as good as having 30 hours of great sex.

9. TrooperRat

TrooperRat Medium Load Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I don't remember the name of the place, I was driving for Werner - those 53 footers had just come out in the last year at the time. I had dropped the trailer I was pulling in the Werner yard at Omaha - the thing was falling apart - and picked up another trailer that had already been loaded. Another "hot" load going to somewhere in upper New York. Sorry, too long ago, I don't remember the name of the receiver or even the town it was in.
    But I'll never forget the experience. I got to this place, went in with the papers, then they told I would have unload the truck myself. They take me to this "staging" area and show me four, giant squares one the floor of the warehouse right behind where the loading dock is. "You are going to have to separate each box by color, and put them in their respective, colored square.
    What was this, the Romper Room? Put the colored boxes in the same colored square? I hadn't even backed the truck up to the dock yet, much less looked inside the trailer. So, I go out there and break the seal, open up the doors - to a sight I had never seen before: That trailer was loaded from floor to ceiling, front to back with THOUSANDS of little, colored boxes. There wasn't a pallet to be found in there.

I shut those #### trailer doors and called dispatch. I told them what was going on - apparently they already KNEW what was going. "Well, I'm telling you right now I am NOT going to unload that trailer unless you pay me at LEAST $200 to do it. Otherwise, you can pay for lumpers to come do it for me". Werner refused, and so did I. I just hung up on them.

So, I"m standing there rather bemused - I can be pretty stubborn on stuff like that, I am not going to spend hours sorting out little colored boxes like playtime at Walt's World and do it for NO PAY. A guy walks up - he KNOWS this place - offers to unload the truck for $80. I said fine, as long as the company would pay for it.

I called the company back up, I gotta lumper here, this is his price. Nothing doing, they said, you're going to have to unload the truck yourself. Hung up on them again, in mid-sentence. I already told them my terms to unload the truck, they want this load delivered here, they're gonna ante up. It was just one of those situation where I was already fed up with this so-called trucking company, and didn't really care at that point what happened.

I had one of the first Werner trucks to have all that satellite junk loaded up into the storage compartment on the driver's side. There was so much equipment on those first deals, it took up the entire inside of that compartment. I HATED it. Big brother looking over your shoulder, they knew where I was 24 hours a day, whether I was driving or not, everything. I don't NEED to be babysat, they give me a load, I'LL GET IT THERE WHEN THEY WANT IT THERE. Anyway, whenever they wanted to get a hold of me, there was this little readout thing on the console in the truck - it was a cabover. It would start beeping furiously until I "answered" it.

There was a message: Please call dispatch. Lol. What'd they think, I work for free? I called them yet again. Argumentative as always, they wanted me to bow to their pressure. What pressure? I was already ready to walk, I could just drive the truck home, and then they would have to have someone drive it all they way back out there again. I didn't tell them that, but I was sure thinking it. I just laid it to them flat: You are going to pay me $200 for unloading this mess, or it isn't going to get unloaded, period.

They bowed to me. I don't know how many hours I spent taking one box out after another after another, it was at least 4 hours. I just went to task on the situation and didn't stop until it was done, didn't bother to look at the clock. I've never seen a load like that since.

10. tomtruckr

tomtruckr Bobtail Member

Jul 5, 2007
    Chittenango, NY
    My worst ever delivery was at the dump called Wakefern, in Elizabeth. I had an 8AM delivery of those ugly white plastic stackable lawn chairs, 98 stacks on a 48 foot trailer. I arrived at 6am, was told it would be a while so they could clear out a space for the load. I ended up waiting for about 30 hours. at this point I went into the security office and informed them that I was coming in now to unload and they said I had to continue waiting. I went back to my truck, fired it up and started grabbing gears. I went into the facility, found an open dock, backed in, hand unloaded all 98 stacks, and at that point, a superviser told me he will not sign my delivery receipt until I stood up all the stacks in nice neat rows. I replied that because his name was on his shirt, I would merely sign for him and be on my way. I should have done that within the 1st few hours rather than wait. Only thing that happened was I was banned for life from Wakefern, Boohoo, NOT. Also, my company was also kicked out. No driver ever complained, the company owner said I should have handled it differently, but didn't offer up any ideas. I did not get fired and spent many more years working there.

Gearjammin' Penguin and OPUS 7 Thank this.
  11. pjw044

pjw044 Heavy Load Member

Had to wait 31 hrs at a Cargill plant in Plainview, Tx one time--thanks to weekend dispatch and the MORONS at the guard shack that never bothered to tell the office that i was there for my load....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.