Longest Live Load/Unload? Can u top this?

Discussion in 'Shippers & Receivers - Good or Bad' started by shaken, Dec 22, 2006.

1. shaken

shaken Bobtail Member

Dec 13, 2006
    OUCH!!

Detention pay was a joke in my case too.... $16/hr BUT with a $96 cap!

How could any shipper possibly justify a nearly 24 hr wait!?!?!?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY
    probably 7 hrs is about all I can claim to

Some of you guys have far more patience than I do. I would have left long before 10, or more hours.

4. littlebit

littlebit Light Load Member

May 27, 2006
    A few years ago I was sent to pick up a load at Domtar in Ashdown Ar. I was told to be over there at 11pm on tues. I get there and find out that the paper for that load hadn't been made yet. I sat at that plant until 1am thurs. I ended up leaving and picking up a load in Texarkana.

5. Aussie

Aussie <strong>Thunder From DownUnder</strong>

May 7, 2006
    Lynchburg, VA
    Not sure if it's fact but I heard a story of one guy waiting at Georgia-Pacific at Big Island, VA for 4 days for his load - is common though for a day wait there with rolls not ready or load being put on another truck and/or company gets it.

6. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY
    I'm sorry but any one that waits for 4 days at a shipper is just stupid.

7. Burky

Burky Road Train Member

A couple of years ago, a buddy of mine and I went to Battle Creek Mi to Post cereal to pump out a contaminated railcar. We arrived as requested at 7 am, and were told that they weren't ready for us in the back yet. vacuum work is billed at a higer rate than regular detention, and we were collecting 20 per hour from the time we left the terminal. So we slept most of the day in the trucks, with the clock ticking away the entire time. Finally, after waiting in the trucks and sleeping until 9 pm, they let us into the back yard where the rail tracks were. No one back there knew where the rail car was, so we went around until we found one that matched the description, and called back to our dispatch to verify the numbers on the rail car.

After finding the car, it was not in a spot where we could get to it with a truck, so I spent some time tlking to some locomotive operators in the area, and finally got the car moved to where we needed it to be. About midnite, we hooked up the hoses to the vacuum trailer and started pulling out the car, unloaded one trailer load, then pumped it into the trailer I was pulling. Then we rehooked to the car, and finished pumping out the remaining flour. By the time we were done, it was past 4 am, and we had been on the clock at $20 per hour each since 5:30 when we left the terminal. So for that day, we racked up over 22 hours at 20 per hour, then still got paid to haul the load back to the original shipper in Danville Il, and time spent screwing around there. I seem to recall that the load paid close to the 250 dollar mark to the driver, and the final paycheck for that 36 hours of work came in close to $700.

8. Aussie

Aussie <strong>Thunder From DownUnder</strong>

May 7, 2006
    Lynchburg, VA
    Have to agree totally, but whether it's true or not one can only speculate especially as you have next to nothing in facilities.

9. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    Had a load to pick up at an IBP plant that was taking at least 24 hours to get loads shipped out (they had to shut down for some reason and were backlogged). I contacted my fleet manager and he told me to go ahead and leave the plant and he gave me a PO for a motel room. Sucked that I had to wait but at least I got to wait it out in a motel room paid for by the company.:king:

Trucker61016 Thanks this.
  10. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    Pepsi can be pretty ate up too. Everytime I got one of their loads they always took forever to load. Would put to many pallets on, or put the wrong load on the trailer. I know some of their local drivers and they say thay are always messing something up.

Trucker61016 Thanks this.
  11. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    That doesn't suprise me. I used to work for Pepsi. I know first hand the "geniuses" that pass for management with that company.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.