Longest Live Load/Unload? Can u top this?

Discussion in 'Shippers & Receivers - Good or Bad' started by shaken, Dec 22, 2006.

1. Southern Highways

Southern Highways Bobtail Member

Jan 20, 2023
    9 hours at Publix Orlando they don't get in no hurry there ,that still doesn't top yours man ridiculous.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    My first year in trucking. Arrived at a nasty chicken factory. On a Wednesday afternoon at 4 PM for a 6 PM appointment. They had a staffing shortage over the weekend. Yes the weekend. Didn’t get out of there until Monday. The company I worked for billed them over $2000 in detention. Not sure if they ever paid it. I got about $300 of it. Lol Worst part of it there was nothing around there. No place to get food or anything. I told my dispatcher at the time even though I was new to trucking that would not happen again.

4. Grouch

Grouch Road Train Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Between here and eternity
    You were there from a Wed. until the following Monday? For $300? I am not very good with math, but $300 for almost 6 days is only $50 per day. You certainly have more patience than this old man.

5. Grouch

Grouch Road Train Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Between here and eternity
    Unloaded at Kroger in Atlanta one day, was sent up to a chicken processing plant north of Gainesville for a 10am appointment the next day. Got there around 5pm and asked the guard if I could drop my trailer and go find a motel room, "no problem" was his reply. Next day, got back to the plant around 9:30am, my trailer had been put in a door, "wonderful"! Backed under it, felt the forklift going in and out. Around noon the forklift ceased going in and out. Few minutes a supervisor came out and told me that they were waiting on 50 cases from another plant and they would not be there until 6pm and they needed the door I was in. OK, I moved out of the door into the yard. 6pm rolled around, I walked into the shipping office, "hey the 50 cases got here yet"? Their reply, "no, been a little trouble they won't be here until 10pm".

Now, the page turns to the next chapter. There was some sign posted in the shipping office about old men losing their minds. Well, I lost mine. "I am giving you 3 choices, choose one, 1st choice: Pull your stuff off my trailer and I will leave here empty. 2nd choice:ship the load short 3rd choice: @7pm I am leaving , empty, loaded with the load short, or I am leaving with or without paperwork. They called some man that came in wearing a 3 piece suit and asked, "you got a problem"? I said, "you see that sign on the wall there about old men losing their minds, I have lost mine and as your shipping clerk can relate, you have until 7pm to make up your mind". He turned and said, "ship it short". Wasted over 8 hours dealing with people that were ate up with the "Peter's Principle"

Cargill in Mt. Crawford, Va, I sitting there for over 12 hrs one day and walked into the shipping office and asked the shipping clerk, "when you going to load me, I got 1200 miles to run and right now, only 20 hrs to make my appointment" His smart5ss reply, "that is your problem". My reply, "In 5 mins my problem will be solved" I went out, pulled out from underneath the trailer and bobtailed back to the yard, called the boss and said, "you want this load of chicken in Iowa, you best get out of bed, cause I am about going home and going to my own bed".

6. Long Haul Lumper Fee

Long Haul Lumper Fee Bobtail Member

Feb 1, 2023
    10 hrs at Sysco with a floor load. Appt time 6 am got there 5:00. 1 hr wait to check in long line. (6:10 am)Told to find a spot in the yard and park as they dont have a door for me. 1 hr later (7:20) walk back to guard shack to get gate pass and door number. Parked in door (7:35) bring paperwork to receiving. (9:45) start unloading me. (2:45pm) green light but have to wait for text saying bills are ready. 30-60 min wait for paperwork.(4:00) finallyleft.

Luckily im local but I was screwed my next day load as most of our loads are mostly a 3.5 hrs drive away and delivered early morning like 5-8am (10 hr)

7. Bozwik

Bozwik Light Load Member

Mar 28, 2022
    Mars, USA
    I believe I can top this one, but not proudly.

WAKEFERN FOOD CORP
    NEWARK PERISHABLES FACILITY, NEWARK, NJ 07105-4712, USA

Arrived at 6:am for a 6:30 appointment. Had to park out on the street. There's no parking at this facility so all trucks have to find parking within several blocks from the warehouse.

The next day at 7:30 am, 25 hours later I got the all clear.

Bumper Thanks this.
  8. Bumper

Bumper Road Train Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Kingsport, Tennessee
    I remember way back in my Central Refrigerated days spending an Easter Long Weekend at a beef plant in Texas. They went home early on Friday before my appt time. Came back on Tuesday. Thankfully I got paid for all of it and was able to drop my trailer and deadhead into town.

9. Jaguar115

Jaguar115 Heavy Load Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Warsaw, Mo
    Back in 2000, I spent 3 days backed into a door waiting on green beans to be delivered, cooked and canned. New to driving and my company acted like this is normal. The lady at the shipping desk just kept saying, "We're waiting on product".

Looking back I should have thrown a fit with my company (Southern Refrigerated), no layover, no detention, no thanks. Nice guys finish last.

48Packard Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.