Looking for a class 3 job

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by TheRookie2022, Apr 16, 2023.

1. TheRookie2022

TheRookie2022 Bobtail Member

Sep 21, 2022
    hi everyone, I’ve had some trouble breaking into the industry because I don’t have my manual license. I can shift and am ready for my test but ICBC is super backed up.
    because of that, I haven’t been able to find any jobs over 25$ I am applying at like 5 to 10 jobs a day. There is supposed to be such huge demand for truck drivers. I know that class 3 ( auto restricted) isn’t a class 1
    but is there no decent jobs out there for me?

I am a good worker and very professional, safety oriented. I have about a year under my belt. clean abstract. I am 40

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Phantom Trucker

Phantom Trucker Medium Load Member

Jan 11, 2016
    Calgary, AB
    Given that you’ve got about a years’ experience and a restricted class 3, I’d say you’re not doing too bad if you’re getting $25 an hour. Not sure what your expectations were for your situation.

Most ready mix and waste disposal companies are running fleets with automatic transmissions now. Some construction companies have automatic dump trucks. Equipment rental companies might be another possibility.

Sending out 5-10 resumes a day and still having difficulty leads me to think there’s something else holding you back. Examples of that are: violations on your drivers abstract. (Even If you got the ticket in a car), poor tenure (history of job hopping), or truck driver training obtained through some shady or unrecognized training centre.

TheRookie2022 Thanks this.
  4. BLBurton

BLBurton Light Load Member

Nov 3, 2022
    Quite a few companies require 2 year experience. And alot of big companies are running automatics, especially on their highway fleets.

Try a job fair - I've been to one representing my company to assist a newer recruiter with any questions the drivers had. Seemed successful for most involved.

Edit: Sorry $25 with your restriction and experience isnt bad but I'm not fimiliar with the BC market or the types of offers you are getting. Curious if your ready to dive into the O/O lifestyle

5. ducnut

ducnut Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    SPI
    $25/hr is about peak, down here in the states.

It’s tough in that market, because it’s relatively easy to achieve, and there will always be someone willing to do it cheaper. You’re going to have to jump into OTR, to escape that level of driver.

6. classicxl

classicxl Medium Load Member

Dec 16, 2006

You guys who live state side have a lot more options vs us Canadians when it comes to good paying jobs like all the ltl companies over there where a road driver can easily make $100k a year .Abf ,xpo,estes ,ups and so many more . I only know of a couple here in Canada where you can make good coin

ducnut Thanks this.
  7. TheRookie2022

TheRookie2022 Bobtail Member

Sep 21, 2022
    Nope no issues like that.

QUOTE="Phantom Trucker, post: 12407124, member: 175975"]Given that you’ve got about a years’ experience and a restricted class 3, I’d say you’re not doing too bad if you’re getting $25 an hour. Not sure what your expectations were for your situation.

Most ready mix and waste disposal companies are running fleets with automatic transmissions now. Some construction companies have automatic dump trucks. Equipment rental companies might be another possibility.

Sending out 5-10 resumes a day and still having difficulty leads me to think there’s something else holding you back. Examples of that are: violations on your drivers abstract. (Even If you got the ticket in a car), poor tenure (history of job hopping), or truck driver training obtained through some shady or unrecognized training centre.[/QUOTE]

8. fuller

fuller Light Load Member

Nov 21, 2010
    Canada
    I'll write what's probably going to be a lengthy post explaining what you're most likely going to encounter in British Columbia with a Class 3, no experience, and restricted to automatics... And you also have to understand that there isn't a 'huge demand' for truck drivers... That BS is simply something that the bad companies have kept repeating over and over again, long enough that people actually believe it, only so the government will flood in a never ending supply of immigrants that they can throw behind the wheel for peanuts in junk equipment and run them ragged. The few good companies remaining have a low turnover rate, and can be choosier in who they hire.

A Class 3 will limit you. You'd be lucky to earn $25/hour in your situation, so set your sights low at this stage. Also bear in mind that this can be regional also, as I have no clue where you live. You need to focus on getting any Class 3 job for the experience, and you will certainly want the automatic restriction removed from your license in time. While some fleets are moving to auto's, not all have. And the older equipment you'll likely be driving may very well have an Eaton. You think the new guy with no experience gets the nice new automatic truck? No. You'll likely be driving the old junk.

I'll tell you a story about myself. 25 years ago I got my Class 1, when I was 20 years old. Testing was so easy back then it was a joke to be honest. Fully licensed (automatic tranny restrictions didn't exist back then, since automatic trucks hardly existed back then) with a Class 1, I could barely shift an Eaton. No 'real' trucking company would hire me after my horrible shifting during the around the block test drive. So I got a job at a nursery, for literally minimum wage, since I knew they had a five ton with an Eaton. So here I am, fully licensed Class 1 driver, doing work that many may find 'beneath' them... Breaking my back delivering, by hand, thousands and thousands of small and large potted plants for a season all over the region. But here's what I gained from that one season: I became familiar with South Western British Columbia, Vancouver Island, Washington State, and most importantly I could now shift a non-synchro with the best of them. That was my initial hurdle, the Eaton, and now that hurdle was overcome. Now I could pass any test drive with a 'real' company, which I did.

So now back to you. Don't email resumes. Don't Fax resumes. Don't call the office. GO to the places that may hire you, and ask to speak to the truck boss. Believe it or not, this method still works. Places to inquire? Building supply companies often run Class 3 trucks. Aggregate work (dump truck) may have Class 3 work. Basically look around you, and make a note of companies running a truck without a trailer. Go visit their office. Take whatever, if anything, you're offered: Make the best of it, and start learning the job. Meet people and make connections. Attitude goes a long way.

Worst case scenario: Be willing to work for free for a limited time. A now acquaintance of mine wanted to get into ag hauling before I ever knew him, but nobody would touch him because zero experience driving anything other than his personal vehicle. He was willing to ride along and drive for a couple of weeks with an experienced driver, for free, to learn the ropes and show his abilities. He was hired after that, as he picked up the job requirements satisfactorily.

Now for the bright side, since I don't want to stay all doom and gloom here. There are a few select jobs here that pay quite well, with only a Class 3. When I was training with LaFarge for mixer job 10+ years ago, they didn't care about experience, even though I had 15 years driving commercial. Another trainee had ZERO experience, just a new Class 3, and was brought on also for training. Their training scheme is so thorough and intense, that it doesn't matter if new or seasoned... They will only hire those that can do the job to, in my opinion, to their extremely high standards. Just to give you one example, the LaFarge logo on the drum had to be stopped at exactly horizontal level after the truck was parked for the day. You are paid at full rate to do a 30 minute pre-trip, and you cannot move the truck before your 30 minute inspection time is up. And they did expect you to crawl around the truck for that full allocation of time. It was also the highest paying company driver job I've ever had, regardless of license class. But being on call 24-7 is the poopy part of concrete hauling, but if you can stick it out, maybe it works long term... Union outfits are always like that. Run the new guys ragged, so the old guys can maintain their regular working hours.

Another option to consider is Mainroad, or it's equivalent entities that exist in other parts of this Province. These again are typically unionized positions that pay above average, and may hire Class 3 drivers too at times.

The two above mentioned examples are a rarity in this industry though, so don't set your sights too high. Those better paying jobs require, at least at the start, much flexibility with your schedule, the ability to learn the basics of the construction industry and adhere to it (you will be doing things other than just driving down the highway), and the ability to get along with your co-workers and the crew.

Propane and other fuel hauling outfits use Class 3 trucks, like Superior or Esso. Class 3 trucks for residential delivery of various fuels, which isn't uncommon where I live.

Hauling #### is something to look into also... I had my septic tank pumped out recently, and the bill was pricey... Very pricey! I even exposed the #### hole into the tank! Still costly just for a pump out!

I've rambled on long enough. All the best to you, potential fellow driver.

9. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I'll second the apply in person method. I've had much greater success getting hired when I actually show up in person with a resume and shake the boss's hand. It shows initiative over somebody just hitting send on an email.

Phantom Trucker and fuller Thank this.
  10. ilovetruckz

ilovetruckz Light Load Member

Oct 6, 2021
    Try Super Save. I think they start around $28 with benefits and pension..Mostly Automatics.

11. upnorthwpg

upnorthwpg Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Most places now accept online only. We have people come in and the mgr has to tell them to apply through the portal.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.