Looking for a new trailer

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by AgPilot1, Jan 31, 2023.

1. AgPilot1

AgPilot1 Light Load Member

May 29, 2022
    As everyone knows I’m pretty green at this and have made 2 trailer mistakes already. First I bought a Great Dane combo that I loved. At least for the 3 loads I hauled with it. It was just too heavy and I could only scale 46.8k. I traded that in on a 2008 East BST that was redone with new bags, drums, linings, chambers and lights. Again really like it but it’s age bothers me and I think the arch is a little flat. It’s the weak link in my operation, besides the idiot in charge. A few weeks ago I was talking with the dealer I purchased it from and told him I’d sell it if I could get my money back. Well he called today and I’m in the market for a trailer.
    I’d like to get disk brakes but can’t find any info on what mfg option disks. Is it even a thing on trailers? I like the Fontaine but I’m afraid I’d be cussing up storm every time I had to sweep it off. Extremes look good but reviews are all over the place. Does anyone have experience with Wilson flatbeds? I’m familiar with their grain trailers but didn’t realize they made flatbeds. I’m looking for any and all opinions.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ducnut

ducnut Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    SPI
    D.Tibbitt, Siinman and cke Thank this.
  4. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    I have a 2019 Reitnouer aluminum flat with disk brakes. Definitely happy with it. Once you go to disks you'll definitely never go back to drums, that's 4 sure. Dot inspections with them are a breeze also, nice and quick!!!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
  5. loudtom

loudtom Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2016
    I like my '06 aluminum Wilson. I do wish the wiring was more easily accessible for repairs. If you want a light trailer, it's like 8000 lbs or so, and I was able to scale 49,200 on the deck at one point. Even if there aren't a lot of Wilson dealers around, the parts are pretty universal and can be found at most trailer shops. If you're looking for stuff to add, I'd look at a front lift axle and/or a rear suspension dump if you're running a spread axle. It's also nice to have a suspension gauge to get an idea of how much weight is on your trailer. I very rarely purchase CAT scales anymore.

D.Tibbitt, Bean Jr., Siinman and 2 others Thank this.
  6. beastr123

beastr123 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2014
    Moose Jaw SK CAN
    I pulled Wilson combo trailers in the `90s and 2000s, both flats and steps.
    I found that they were some of the best trailers of their type at the time.
    You may find them middle of the price range but the service/warranty is top notch (so I have been told).
    They may not be as arched as some of the others but build their strength into the rails and not the arch.

7. cke

cke Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2013
    Colfax Wi
    @Tug Toy

8. Siinman

Siinman Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Kansas City, MO.
    Buy you a battery powered air blower and you can do it in minutes. That is what I got for my dry van makes life nice and easy. I have disc on my dry van and would never go back to anything else. Guy I know runs Fontaine and has no problems with them.

9. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.

While I don’t know exactly what hes looking at, a leaf blower works good except if a trailer has j hook channel/ stuff gets jammed down in there and really needs a long handled flathead to get it clean.

10. BoostedTeg

BoostedTeg Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Boise ID
    Have you looked at western trailers?

D.Tibbitt, cke and Oxbow Thank this.
  11. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    They seem to be a regional trailer. Very nice, but not supported across the country? I don't know for sure.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.