Looking for company sponsored CDL training.

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Mars Ultor, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Mars Ultor

Mars Ultor Light Load Member

Jan 24, 2019
    Hi everyone. FIrst post post here but I've seen several of the youtubers I follow mention these forums so I thought I'd seek some advice.
    Untill Today I thought I was going to be starting at CDL school on Monday the 28, in Tampa sponsored by Swift. For some reason however that fell through. I think it's probably my fault, although the background check they did showed exactly what I told them it did (on DUI conviction in 2002) I apparently filled out one of their forms saying the last time I smoked pot was earlier this year. I tried explaining that it was a mistake and the last time I had was several years ago but they said "they couldn't move forward with me at this time".

OK, that sucks but it is what it is. I've also applied at Prime, who rejected me since I've only been back in the U.S. since December 2018, Roehl, who rejected me without saying why, and CRST who seem to be willing to take me. However I have not heard good things about CRST, so they are a backup plan.

I was wondering who you guys would recommend for company sponsored CDL training. I simply don't have the money to pay out of pocket, and even if it means eating crow for the first year I am willing to do what it takes to feed my family. Any Suggestions?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    First of all, never admit you've ever smoked pot; never in your lifetime. If ever asked that question again, say "NO", or you won't be hired.
    Try these companies that hire in Florida:
    CFI - www.cfidrive.com - will ship you to Missouri for school. (hair follicle drug test)
    Stevens Transport - www.stevenstransport.com - trains in Tampa.
    CRST - you already know about, but it's a choice and its only for a few months.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -----------------------CFI-----------------------------------------------------------Stevens Transport--------------------------
    [​IMG].[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    TheRealPorkChopExpress Thanks this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You are going to have to find the money.

I am saying this from first hand experience. I worked behind a fast food restaurant doing dishes 4 nights a week for months. In three I had 1000 net cash plus more in the bank. In 6 I had two thousand. Easy peasy.

Time is what it needs. And a awful lot of those dishes. Not even a full day work either my shift was primarily in the evening leaving the rest of my workweek free to work for someone else if I could in those days.

In short.

Find the money. Save it until you can pay the tuition yourself. Go get the CDL and then you are beholden and in debt to NO one, or No company. Hire on and proceed.

You talked about pot. what? 2002? Eh don't volunteer that stuff. Companies only want the last 10 years and try to catch what those people who are actively or recently doing pot within the last 12 months in a hot test. Those are the ones who will be excluded from the industry.

Any company ask you about pot. It never happened in your lifetime. As in NO. (Even if it did... It. DID. NOT. HAPPEN. as in N. O.) anything else like yes I smoked bla etc gets you excluded instantly. I did it twice decades ago and frankly I had a Class A in my pocket that night. Those were a different time then with a load assigned to Columbus leaving 6 hours later. What a happy trip that was. But as far as employers? Nope. Nada. Didnt happen. test me if you don't believe me.

5. Mars Ultor

Jan 24, 2019
    Chinatown I just applied with CFI and Stevens via the Driverpath app. X1Heavy, I get what you're saying but I really don't have much choice. Im 41 years old and got a fiancee and kid I gotta bring over from the phils. I Just got back in the country and I'm living at my Momma's place in central florida. I gotta start making money ASAP, and there's no market for the skills I have (setting up call centers in S.E. Asia). Going with company sponsored CDL training might mean I have to work for less money for 6 months to a year, but its still better than I can get waiting tables or washing dishes and gives me a skill that I can leverage when the contracts up.

6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Many drivers on this forum have been in a similar situation and have wife, children, homes, in the Orient, including me.

7. Mars Ultor

Jan 24, 2019
    Chinatown. Yeah, it aint exactly a unique situation. I was doing alright for a while but things just kinda went south. SO now I gotta get my girl and my kid over here. Luckily my mom has 2 1/2 acres in central florida, which will be heavan for a little girl from manila

8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Bernie Little Distributors Budweiser - two locations- Lakeland/Sebring
    This one that will hire you with only a cdl permit.
    Budweiser/Anheuser-Busch Beer Delivery Route Driver Trainee
    • Must have a valid clean Florida driver's license
    • Must obtain a CDL Permit as this is required
    Tuesday - Saturday work week. Days off are Sunday and Monday.
    Bernie Little Distributors offers an extensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and group life insurance. Our benefits package also includes a 401K plan, vacation time and personal days.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If interested, apply IN PERSON at our office located at 4105 Maine Avenue, Lakeland 33801
    Applications are accepted Monday - Friday 8am-4:30pm
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If interested, please apply in person at our main office.
    8061 Associates BLVD, Sebring 33876
    Applications are accepted Monday - Friday 11am-4pm

9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    SOLID WASTE / REFUSE - Experienced & TRAINEES with Labor or Driver Experience
    City of Winter Garden - Winter Garden, FL 34787
    Click here for more information > Apply On Company Site
    Possess/maintain a valid Florida CDL Class B Driver’s License OR the ability to obtain a Florida CDL Class B permit within one month of hire and license within three months of hire, including air brake and passenger endorsements, as a condition of employment.

10. ebill45

ebill45 Light Load Member

Oct 11, 2011
    dalton ga
    There is no way they found a 18 year old dwi. Don’t volunteer anything. Espically something illegal. If you pass the drug test they won’t know.

11. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.