Looking for Freight Broker Mentor

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by Exams Broker, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Exams Broker

Exams Broker Bobtail Member

Aug 22, 2017
    I live in the North Texas area by Ft. Worth and I am looking for a Freight Broker (possibly local so we can meet up from time to time) to mentor me on some strategies and legality of Freight Brokering. I have owned my own courier company for 12 years now, but now I want to open up a Freight brokering firm. Is there a Broker out there that can mentor me on the legal and paperwork aspect I have a handle on everything else since I've been around it for a little over a decade.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JL of Indiana

JL of Indiana Light Load Member

Jul 14, 2017
    So what's in it for the mentor who teaches you everything? The pleasure of seeing you have a successful brokerage?

4. Exams Broker

Aug 22, 2017
    That's why it's called a mentor

5. Exams Broker

Aug 22, 2017
  6. PPDCT

PPDCT Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    Well, here's the thing- you're asking for someone to train a potential competitor without expectation of compensation for their time. It's not that we're not going to want you to be successful, but there's the small matter of potentially taking money out of our pocket, long-term. It's not a sound business practice.

7. boredsocial

boredsocial Road Train Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    Yeah... For me to teach you the business I'm going to need you to sign a noncompete and come work for me.

Think about how you would react to my asking you to 'mentor me' in your business. Show me exactly how everything works and explain all the legalities. Legalities that probably cost you real money to learn about.

8. Exams Broker

Aug 22, 2017
    I guess I didn't explain it right in the beginning of the thread. I don't need help with the business itself. I have owned my own trucking company for the last 12 years. So I have pages of shipper and manufacturer contacts that I use so I'm already ahead of the game. My company has gotten to where I don't have enough trucks to run the freight. I now have to get into brokering so I can keep my customers and keep it legal and FMCSA doesn't get on my ###. So I guess what I am asking is what would be the difference of other than having to file a few different forms and paperwork and also get a bond that I would need. Or is that it. I already have the contracts drawn up and everything else. Just looking for a little guidance on things that you guys might have done starting out brokering that you would basically say don't do that. Everyone had there start somewhere and some one might of helped you out on what to do and what not to do to save yourself. That's what I'm asking for and hopefully get a business relationship out of it in the process if they ever need help or I ever need help. I am all about always helping someone else out and paying it forward.

9. boredsocial

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    If you already own a legit trucking company then yeah you're like 95% of the way there. Honestly though finding trucks is kind of a ##### right now.

10. PPDCT

PPDCT Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    Depends on the market, but what he said. Lots of freight rolling out there. You may run into trouble if you try to take a cut off of your direct rate with your customers, too.

11. boredsocial

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    Yeah it's pretty unlikely that you can turn a profit taking a contract rate and flipping it onto the spot market right now... Unless you have a REALLY REALLY good rate.

For example at this moment in time I'm paying 2900 dollars for flexible 830 mile Reefer runs from IN- Orlando area... And I'm struggling to get trucks.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.