Looking for my first job, Post- CDL-A

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Adelmo, May 16, 2020.

1. Adelmo

Adelmo Light Load Member

Apr 16, 2019
    Happy Saturday to all!!
    As shared in earlier post I, thankfully, passed my CDL-A exam and , as of May 1st I am a CDL holder. Ok, now that that's out of the way here is my update. I am in the middle of moving into a new home and all that that entails so I am unavailable to go OTR presently. So, I have been applying to gigs that are local knowing that they are asking for experience and some endorsements, all to no avail.
    We are midway through the month of May and I gave myself until the beginning of June to decide to apply OTR if nothing pans out. I am not the most patient individual so when I find myself filling out all the questions in places like Indeed, CareerBuilders, etc and don't hear from them I get frustrated. I guess my question is: is it unrealistic to apply and get a local job? Should I just go ahead and start reaching out to recruiters for OTR jobs? Was that your experience when you first got your license?
    The only thing holding me back is not wanting to leave my wife to do all the work necessary in a big move. Otherwise, I would have been gone already- I do not want this license to get cold! I'm sure you understand.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Which town/city are you moving to?
    Sometimes drivers on this forum have some inside information on local jobs, that aren't advertised.
    I can give you leads on OTR jobs that most schools don't mention or even know about.
    Do you have endorsements?

4. Adelmo

Adelmo Light Load Member

Apr 16, 2019
    I don't have any endorsements (yet) wondering which one should I focus on first...I'm open to your suggestion btw. My move is staying here in Tampa, Fla. (Odessa to be exact). It's just a move to another part of town. Thing is, first sell present home, second construction is to be completed by September, see my dilemma. For the record, I was perfectly fine with the home I have now, the Mrs., however is another story...

Chinatown Thanks this.
  5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Good idea; buy a nice home that the wife likes and is proud of; very important; congratulations on that decision.
    Saw an ad one time and wrote it down for DHL Supply Chain.
    Usually want 6 mos. experience, but does have a training program for drivers right out of cdl school.
    Good pay and benefits.
    DHL Supply Chain - CDL-A driver
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Texas_hwy_287 Thanks this.
  6. Hazmat Cat

Hazmat Cat Medium Load Member

Oct 18, 2019
    I applied for like 4 jobs, the only one to call me back immediately was the local job I’m at now. Sometimes things work out. Keep trying, good luck, and happy Saturday! Woop woop

7. Texas_hwy_287

Texas_hwy_287 Road Train Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Texas
    @Adelmo get all your endorsements and apply for an LTL company. (Old dominion, Estes, southeastern, FedEx freight, Ups, AAA cooper and R&L.) Even though some of those ask for experience dont be afraid to apply.

If you dont get hire as an LTL driver get on with pepsi or coca cola.

Good luck.

8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Have you tried the beverage companies?

9. Crazytrucker77

Crazytrucker77 Heavy Load Member

Nov 23, 2014
    Grants Pass, OR
    It is tuff finding a local gig with no experience. Most companies want at least a few months OTR experience. My advice would be to hang tight as long as you can to handle your personal business then get into otr. Unfortunately I'm on the west coast so your area is a mistry to me. Chinatown is the trucking guru here. Good luck.

10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Yeah, Estes Express Lines has a Tampa terminal.
    Usually want 12 mos. experience, but some terminals will hire a new cdl school grad to drive box trucks for a few months before moving to tractor trailers. Submit an application for a box truck driver and maybe luck out. That's a company where drivers stick around and retire from.
    Estes Express Lines
    [​IMG].[​IMG]

11. trucker2121

trucker2121 Light Load Member

Apr 29, 2013
    wow!! lol these are questions u should have been asked and explained to you before cdl training.. you dont wanna be local being inexperienced. otr is best option. prepare not to see ur wife for month or two while in driver training and once or twice a month as a first seat driver. You have to learn to maneuver trucks well while otr. The local work its alot of tight turns/city traffic turns/tight back ins long hrs.

Last edited: May 16, 2020
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.